The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 10 year old paint. He was trained in dressage “training” level. He was bucking owner off and was given to me about 8 months ago.

Although I did work for a dressage trainer for about 5 years, all I want to do with this guy is trail. So, I started the fun of finding him a saddle.

The saddle in this video is a crates FQHB that I bought used about 2 months ago. I had several people tell me it fit but, I don’t think so. The horse is down hill and the saddle is always lower at the front.

I went to the tack shop and they sold me a pad that has filling behind the wither area. It was an equisential pad.

This video is him in it and the saddle that I know in my gut doesn’t fit. I think he hates the whole set up and I shouldn’t ride any of it. Sell it all and try again.

I am super frustrated with western saddle fit etc. I can’t find anyone to come out and do a fitting etc like they do with dressage saddles. I don’t think my horse is that oddly built that it should be this hard.

I will go back to the dressage saddle for now but would love to have a little more saddle under me for trails. He has skills🤠

Point of post: Does this set up look to just be uncomfortable to him? Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
How do you upload a video?
Try uploading your video to youtube and attach a link here. You can upload them and make the link unlisted if you don't want it to be completely public. By making it unlisted it means only those you share the link to can view it =)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, major problems trying to upload to you tube. I live in the middle of nowhere but here is a link to his public Facebook page if anyone is interested. It is the latest post

Diesel the orphaned foal
@Dieseltheorphanedfoal

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Can you take pictures? Upload them to your computer and then attach them on here. If you go advanced, then you will see a paperclip icon. Click on that and it will let you post pictures from your computer.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I looked up the facebook account. Yeah that saddle (in the video) looks pretty awful and uncomfortable on him. What we need are pictures though - straight on from the side, from the back, and from the front - saddle uncinched. If possible some pictures (same angles) without the saddle too; to figure out what kind of back he has. Once you've posted those, the saddle-fit gurus here can work their magic ;)

·
Registered
48,608 Posts
That saddle is what seat size? To me, it's hard to judge the fit without seeing it on without a pad underneath. It is probably is designed to be used with a rear cinch, too.

To be honest, while watching the video on your FB page of you round penning him, I noticed that he never moves his tail, and appears to be clamping it down somewhat. He also has very little reach under himself with his hind legs, and looks kind of stiff in the hind.

I think rather than assuming it is the saddle, I might look into having him seen by a good equine chiropractor.

·
Super Moderator
22,907 Posts
Aside from what fox mentioned, nothing to be gleaned from those pics. But as Tiny said, I also wonder if you have had the horse seen to by a chiro or such, to make you think it's a saddle fit only prob.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I also thought the horse looks stiff in the hind end.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi. Thank you I know those pictures aren’t the best I will get some more today. So, he has seen a chiropractor. She said he was OK but he is stiff in his stifle. He does have straight stifles or kind of straight stifles. I have never thought he was normal. And he does stumble a lot. I had a lameness check by the vet and he thought it was OK. But of course things can change. I’ve talk to my trainer about the stumbling and she says to get him off of beforehand. I actually have on two occasions when I was riding had him go down onto his knees which is a little bit scary.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You were so right about the tail. This is why it’s great that I rode in. Because I never even thought about the tail before but now that you mention it you’re absolutely right. It’s been a couple months since he seen the chiropractor I will get her out again.

·
Registered
48,608 Posts
thank you for taking those photos. the photos don't show a poor saddle fit, in my eyes. It's a good quality saddle, and to me, a decent fit.

I so appreciate the obvious love you have for this fellow. In your eyes, he can do no wrong. I feel that way about my two sons.

·
Super Moderator
22,907 Posts
Agree that in as much as you can tell from pics, decent fit. And looks like he has quite upright shoulder blades, in the first pic looks like saddle may clear it, but in the latter pics, looks like it is over the swell of the scapula, so appears a bit far forward.(I need a recording of that...)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Hmm now that his movement has been mentioned - that could have given me an off impression of the saddle itself. It seemed to me like the saddle was making him move weird/tight/uncomfortable but is that kind of gait normal for him? From the pictures now the fit itself doesn't look that bad.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do you ever untrack your horse?

Do you know how to check the tree and make sure it isn't broken?

Is it really FQHB?

I'm kind of hung up on how dry it is right where the widest part of the bars would be making contact with him. Could just be the picture it happens, but worth looking into what is going on with that if not.

For Western Saddles you typically do the measurements from instructions and send them to the maker. Call Bob or Terry Beecher from Outwest Saddlery. Great people, beautiful work and fit problems are their specialty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts