The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I recently came across the perfect horse that I really want to buy. I am getting a really good deal on her, but the buyers need her gone very soon. I just got a job, but I need a way to help convince my parents to get her. I would pay half of her board after the second month, but I need more convincing for them. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
do you have experience? ridden before or are you totally new to the whole thing.. buying something perfect for a good price that has to go soon could be a cover up for problems . If you have some experience ask.. buying the horse is the cheapest part of owning sad truth. But if you are under 18 and living at home and they say no, no amount of convincing may sway them

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
There is a recent thread Monthly cost of your horses.. you should check that one out, gives you kind of an idea

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I agree with what’s been said. I’d be careful and not rush this decision. Sometimes owners say that they have to get rid of a horse (or any item) quickly, to panic the buyer into a sale. They think it’ll make you overlook faults and health checks because of the time limit and fear that someone else will buy it.
Take your time. If they have its best interest at heart, the owners should be happy to wait. If you don’t get this one, then there are plenty of wonderful horses looking for a home and you’ll have had the time to do some research to help you make a good decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no online post, I lready met the horse and got her vet checked. I know about the monthly cost

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
If your parents say no, then that's what they mean. Once you're 18, moved out, and paying your own way, you can have any horse you want. But if you're still living under their roof, then their rules apply.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
What makes her the perfect horse? Or even perfect for you? Good Deal, Must Be Moved - both are red flags. Big Red Flags.
My thoughts exactly-------------

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
HELP! I recently came across the perfect horse that I really want to buy. I am getting a really good deal on her, but the buyers need her gone very soon. I just got a job, but I need a way to help convince my parents to get her. I would pay half of her board after the second month, but I need more convincing for them. PLEASE HELP
Would the current owner consider payments? Or a lease to purchase? Then you wouldn't need your parents help.

Sometimes parents think horses/riding is a "phase" and that their children will grow out of it. As you have been riding for 14 years my guess is that you won't grow out of it, lol.

The other situation is possibly your parents are saving/planning on you going to college and don't have the funds for a horse and college.

Only other option would be to find someone to 1/2 lease the horse to help with funds.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I'm confused you are saying that you need help convincing your parents, but you have been riding for 14+ years and know the ins and outs, and I'm guessing you paid for the PPE, so if your over 18 and can afford it.. does it really matter if they care or not?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was in this situation when I was younger often...

My best advise would be to ask for a "loan" from your parents, get a job, and pay them back. Have a plan written and make it a good sound "business decision". Throw on chores for "interest" instead of extra money. And above all else... FOLLOW THROUGH

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you're under 18 and/or your parents are paying for any of the cost of the care, then there really is no "convincing" to be done IMHO. It's their money, so regardless of if they can afford it or not, it's their money regardless. It's not just "convincing parents to get you a horse", it really comes down to convincing them to spend X amount of their hard earned money each month, as well as potentially shelling out more money for emergencies and such. And that's where I think it's ultimately wrong to try and "convince" them to do this.

IMHO, if parents offer to pitch in, that's great, but if you feel the need to "convince" parents to spend money each month (plus unplanned emergency bills that can arise), then I personally don't think that's really right to ask of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts