The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 yr old QH that I have had since she was under 1 yr old. Her previous owner was very nice, but one of those people who had no business with a baby. She was incorrectly weaned and when I got her already had multiple vices such as cribbing, pacing, and pawing. We had multiple colic issues with her when she was younger and although she was never tested for ulcers she had all of the common symptoms. By changing her diet around with good supplements, we have been completely colic free with a strong appetite for several years now. She wore a miracle collar when younger which drove both of us crazy and did well in the french collar once she was old enough to fit in it. I did try numerous other things and would leave her collar off of her from time to time, it did get taken off regularly.

She was started under saddle as a 3 yr old, but I've been busy with other horses and she was unfortunately on the back burner. I've recently started working her daily again and several weeks ago I put her back in her stall without her collar on. She went to the crib, but couldn't. She tried several times and I heard a tiny bit of air pass once. She then just gave up and started eating. Her collar hasn't been on for weeks and its always the same thing. She'll go up and try to crib, and very rarely do I actually hear any air passing. She is becoming much less frequent in trying to crib. She was always one of those hard core cribbers that tried to crib on anything all the time.

Her behavior other than that has also improved greatly. He appetite is still great, no changes were made in her diet, she still has plenty of forward. She has also stopped pawing and pacing and now practically falls asleep when left alone tied. I have worked with a lot of vices and have corrected serious pawing horses and pacers, but cribbing has always been a tough one for me as for everyone. My other cribber, a 5 yr old that I've owned since she was 3 (yes, also cribbed when I bought her) is still pretty heavy at it.

I was just curious if anyone had any reasons why. I was wondering if the collar did any type of internal damage, but I know horses that have worn them much longer without any similar symptoms. I have also read research that states that cribbing is more burping than air sucking, in which I guess she could still be going the motions but nothing is passing because maybe there is nothing to pass. However, most things that I read are still insisting that it is sucking air, so who knows what to believe anymore. Either way, her attempt to crib is dying, but she still tries. Has anyone observed this before? Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.