The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not one to laugh at others' misfortune, but I think this might be the funniest horse jumping fail video I've seen.
If you don't watch all of it, you have to see the horse at 3:47 that fails to jump because he's pooping! I've just never seen that before.
There are also two horses that do something silly with their legs before they jump and fail miserably. Far more riders are going over the jumps than horses are. Horses are just not graceful...

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
Wow, seems like most of those falls shouldn't have happened, regardless of what the horse did or didn't do. Methinks a lot of these people are jumping way above their level?

The girl who fell off when the horse got a bit big in the canter on a turn, at 0:59... How did that even happen??

Mostly I see really really good reasons to stay upright and keep your butt in the tack until that actual jump happens. And maybe practice canter-to-halt transitions on the flat.

Cool to see the air vests working, though!

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
It was quite interesting to see how most of the young riders just bounced right back from their falls, including into bits of obstacle - ouch - and how much longer the older, less bouncy riders took to get up, and how much more likely they were to be hurt. Sigh. Oh for the old days...

One thing that irritates me is all the needless holding onto reins and causing pain to the horses' mouths - it's so, so unnecessary to do that in an arena...

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
Looked like a lot were riding the flat in "two point" - balancing with knees and reins. :icon_rolleyes: The horse didn't need to do much more than extend its neck to flick them off like a booger off a finger.

I'll admit, though, the poleys of an Aussie-style saddle were the only reason Mia didn't fling me off ten times a ride while learning. The saddle was flat and slick under the knee. Nothing to grip there no matter how much one wanted to. The poleys bruised my thighs often enough in a violent spin or "OMG Crouch" but they saved me from a lot of short, unscheduled flights through the air. And the landings. I was 50 when I started. I couldn't afford very many landings.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Oh my... this should be called the 'why jumping above your level of ability is bad/this is why we used to spend six months on the lunge without stirrups' video, interspersed with some dirty stoppers and clutzy horses that probably should stick to dressage....

That horse just after the minute mark who unceremoniously deposits his rider in the fence, the proceeds to scratch his face on the rails while he waits for her to get up had me laughing.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
IDK, I have a hard time seeing this as funny. Some of those horses really hit things hard or just fall badly. And yes, there is a lot of riding where people are obviously way above their level. I hate to see horses subjected to this. Sorry, I'm a party pooper.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Party pooper here as well. So many not even preparing their horses for the jump and then sitting at the back of the saddle only to be flung off. You jump in a two point for that very reason. How in Sam Hill is a horse supposed to jump with all of the riders weight on his back end. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Maybe it's just circumstancial- but a lot of these riders do not have independent hands and are relying on the horse's mouth for balance ON TOP OF freaking. Posting. The. Canter. Because horses travel so much better when you have your feet on the dash and are smashing their backs with your butt. Half seat or full seat. Pick one and stick to it.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
Party pooper here as well. So many not even preparing their horses for the jump and then sitting at the back of the saddle only to be flung off. You jump in a two point for that very reason. How in Sam Hill is a horse supposed to jump with all of the riders weight on his back end. Yikes!

If by preparing, you mean a rider placing the horse, Most of those jumps were of a height that a horse did not need placing but just being brought in on an even stride.

I agree and have always said the dangers of two point going into a fence and agree with BSMS on the point he made.

I would bet that a lot of those orders cannot do a sitting trot their seats are so weak.

·
Registered
49,434 Posts
I find that hard to watch, too. I especially hate the ones where the horse trips and rolls. IT is my worst nightmare.
But, not being a jumper, I wonder how many of those ARE people jumping over their ability, and how many are just freak accidents, since they DO happen.

Are you supposed to be in two point as you approach the jump, or sitting back in the saddle? The only somewhat consistent thing I could see was riders who lost their heel down position, got their feet too far forward, and then their foot become a fulcrum , from which they appeared to be catapulted over the bars.

jumpers, please weigh in.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Are you supposed to be in two point as you approach the jump, or sitting back in the saddle? The only somewhat consistent thing I could see was riders who lost their heel down position, got their feet too far forward, and then their foot become a fulcrum , from which they appeared to be catapulted over the bars.

jumpers, please weigh in.
I was trained hunter/jumper, and maybe others were trained differently, but I was always told to hold a half-seat approaching a jump. It keeps your seat light above the saddle, but still balanced; it gives the horse impulsion without getting ahead of them, and it also stays gentle on their back so they don't have an excuse to check out. Staying in two-point before a jump just sets you up to be flung over the horse's head, and typically unbalances the horse and is the exact reason they refuse the jump. On the other hand, sitting back like you're asking a western horse for a sliding stop was equally unadvised because sitting that deep tells the horse you're not ready to jump or you don't want them to jump. I really cringed hard at those people with their butts slamming against the saddle, especially when they had their legs way out in front of them flopping on the horse's shoulders! :eek_color:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
So. I don't wear a helmet or an air vest for what I do.

No way in Hades would I jump and not have on a helmet. Nope. No. way.

Granted... we've jumped trees down on the trail before, but we're talking a 2-2.5 foot tall jump, nothing I couldn't handle.

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I didn’t see riders approaching the fences in two point, but I didn’t watch it all the way through because I did not think it was funny, what I did see was not video from the US.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Some awful falls over very low jumps... even if the riders are unprepared, one would think a decent horse should be catty enough to get himself over a 24" jump even if he comes in at an awkward stride with a rider off balance.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Are you supposed to try and hold onto the reins? I was thought to let go immediately. That’s one way I could tell I had no hope of saving the fall, my instructor would holler “Let go of the reins!”

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The one girl who slides over her horse's neck and lands on her feet in front of him has this look on her face either like, "now what?" or else resignation, but her body language was all loose, as if it happened all the time.

Yes, some of the accidents looked like they could have hurt the horses. A risk you take when jumping. However, I've had a horse do a long stumble like one of the horses does without even going over a jump, just meeting up with uneven ground.

Not every situation was funny, some more of a learning opportunity of how not to ride. But some of the riders...like the guy whose legs scissored around the horse's neck until he was twirled off. What type of instinct has you trying that?

But I still can't imagine why the one horse thought he had time to start pooping while he's cantering up to a fence. It seemed like he didn't want to take off until he was finished.
Also the one guy's cinch or billets seem to have broken, since the saddle came flying off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.