The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new trailer and I’m trying my best to keep in good condition. However, my 3 year old colt has a different idea. When he’s tied to the outside of the trailer he’s determined to chew on everything he can reach, the lining on the windows, fenders, and even scraping his teeth on the side of it. I’ve tried giving him hay to munch on but he’d much rather the trailer. He’s always been very mouthy but I thought he was finally growing out of it since my fence is still in one piece *eye roll*. The only thing I can come up with is using a grazing muzzle when he’s tied but he really needs to be able to eat and drink when he’s tied for long periods of time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
No ideas, however, a muzzle even a grazing muzzle will still allow him to eat and drink so "worst case" that's definitely an option.

The only thing I can think of is covering the trailer with something. You could try putting something nasty tasting on it but I'm not sure that would help, he sounds determined lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Get his teeth & mouth checked...
He is at a age where he may be losing some caps and it feels good to "gnaw" with loosening and removing those annoying things to him...
:runninghorse2:....

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a friend come to our ranch to hunt turkeys. I told him not to pull his truck into any of the pastures horses were in to park outside the pasture gates. He didn't want to walk too far so he pulled in anyway to a pasture adjoining the one he was to hunt in. Later he came up to the house in his new Toyota pickup with most of the paint stripped off the front of it. The horses had left long teeth marks all over it. He was pretty upset. LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn’t even think about having his teeth checked. I’ll have to do that. It’s time for their annual dentist appointment anyways. He’s always been so mouthy but I’ve noticed his favorite thing to do is gnaw on a lead rope. It’s very relaxing to him kinda like a pacifier for a baby. Maybe that makes his mouth feel better. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
First thought is teeth. Second is, he's got no fingers so he's using his mouth to explore the new object. Third, same warning as KSBowman's, horses seem to have an affinity for vehicle paint and LOVE to destroy it. Hubby didn't believe me until they took all the red paint off his little SAAB.....yup, they thought it was a peppermint or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.