The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I have a 21 year old TWH. She has had a cough for quite a while now. Maybe 2 months. It started as just one or two coughs but proceeded to worsen. She was taken to the vet on Monday April 22nd. He said her lungs seemed clear and she looked as if she has an URI. He said she needed to put on a little late and recommended some protein supplements. He also prescribed some antihistamine and antibiotics to help. She has been on these for a week and for a while her cough seemed to go away. She is much more active and alert now. But as of yesterday her cough returned. She seems to stretch her neck and kind of groan before coughing. Then she returns to herself before repeating. She does it about 5 times before she will go hours without coughing again. She also has some slight swelling around her jaw sometimes but the vet said that was caused by the URI. I am worried about her. She is still prescribed to be on the medication until next Tuesday. Should I call the vet back? Or wait to see how it progresses until next Tuesday?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jay19,
Our 11 y.o. TWH mare did the same thing earlier this year. After a day or two, we called the vet. He came out and did a thorough exam. She had a low grade fever, but nothing else, and did pretty much the same as far as stretching her neck before coughing, then go for hours without coughing.

The vet gave her an antibiotic shot, then gave us enough steroids for seven days. The coughing stopped.
Final diagnosis from the vet: mild pneumonia.
She hasn't coughed since. Also we had to take her temp twice a day and report to the vet if it went up.

Good luck.

Reactions: Angela Hogan

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Was there any blood work done or cultures of anything?
What was done is great to start, but to be positive the antibiotics are the best product to fight a infection needs a culture done, grown and then read so you know which bacteria it is for best outcome.
I, if me would be calling the vet to check in since you saw a improvement and now seeing a regression in fighting the infection...
A phone call costs nothing, but peace of mind hearing the vets voice and calming words are worth thousands..
There are many kinds of URI and they do require different medications...
My friends horse also just went through this...
The vet prescribed antibiotics to start with while cultures were done and results given...
The horse was on the wrong drugs and not getting better...
Once that medication was changed, 24 hours later the horse was so much better and continued to improve till health restored and medications finished as prescribed.
{Horses/animals can have resistance to drugs same a people...always finish antibiotics till gone!!}
Without that culture grown though they would not of known it was not the best medication to fight the infection...
I would be calling the vet...
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts