The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was researching what to give to a horse so it would gain more weight and energy. Right now it's getting hay, oats, alfalfa meal, a little bit of soy, electrolytes, vitamins and 2eggs daily. The horse isn't mine but the owner asked for help. It's a 4 year old standardbred mare who isn't getting a lot of work. Thanks for the help.:D

·
Super Moderator
17,830 Posts
Feeding raw eggs has not been a often occurrence is the US but reading research from leading authorities state it is not as bad as some would think....
For reference to read and make better informed decisions...
Excerpts from the articles are below...please use the links to read the full article of reference and opinion of authorities...

No, eggs aren't really bad for them. Equine experts tend to agree that mixing in eggs with feed isn't a big issue, as long as the horse doesn't mind. We all know eggs are a great source of protein which have an ideal balance of amino acids, minerals and vitamins. Are Eggs Bad for Horses?

Q&A: Feeding Horses Eggs - Kentucky Equine Research

Answer. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, as we all know. Protein quality is exceptional because eggs have an ideal balance of amino acids. Remember ...
https://ker.com › Answer Exchange

Yes, it is perfectly fine feeding raw eggs to horses. Eggs are full of protein and contain the ideal balance of amino acids and are a great energy source.

Now with that given....my neighbors chickens have claimed my horses stalls to lay their eggs in occasionally....
My horses have also found those eggs before I got to them too and ate them...raw.
They seemed to like them....:oops:
I however like them more for breakfast so it is a race to gather them now....;)
🐴....

·
Registered
925 Posts
You don't say how much (weight wise) of the food she is getting.

Perhaps increasing the amount would help or maybe switching to a commercial feed that is already mixed and balanced to be sure it's suitable for her weight and exercise level.

Adding rice bran can help too.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
27,671 Posts
It is a good source of protein but I feel like it would be easier just to feed a weight supplement or increase the feed.

Reactions: walkinthewalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't say how much (weight wise) of the food she is getting.

Perhaps increasing the amount would help or maybe switching to a commercial feed that is already mixed and balanced to be sure it's suitable for her weight and exercise level.

Adding rice bran can help too.

Good luck!
Right now she's getting about 3kg of oats, 2kg of alfalfa meal, 1kg of soy and about 10kg of hay. She's in a great form but the owner wants more weight one her so she could get more muscles

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Without work she won't build muscle. She'll have whatever level of muscle corresponds to her activity level. It takes the right amount of protein and amino acids to have the building blocks necessary to build that muscle. Adding weight won't do it. Roughly 6.5 pounds of oats, 4.5 pounds alfalfa meal and just over 2 pounds of soy (meal or husks)? I hope it's spread over at least 3 meals otherwise her tummy is being overloaded and a horse work process feed correctly. You'll actually cause problems. The recommended is not over 5 pounds per meal but there are horses that can even tolerate that. They'll lose instead of going when overloaded no matter the calorie count or quality. Is she eating all 22 pounds of forage/hay? Is it a good quality hay?

·
Registered
12,585 Posts
Feeding raw eggs has not been a often occurrence is the US but reading research from leading authorities state it is not as bad as some would think....
For reference to read and make better informed decisions...
Excerpts from the articles are below...please use the links to read the full article of reference and opinion of authorities...

No, eggs aren't really bad for them. Equine experts tend to agree that mixing in eggs with feed isn't a big issue, as long as the horse doesn't mind. We all know eggs are a great source of protein which have an ideal balance of amino acids, minerals and vitamins. Are Eggs Bad for Horses?

Q&A: Feeding Horses Eggs - Kentucky Equine Research

Answer. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, as we all know. Protein quality is exceptional because eggs have an ideal balance of amino acids. Remember ...
https://ker.com › Answer Exchange

Yes, it is perfectly fine feeding raw eggs to horses. Eggs are full of protein and contain the ideal balance of amino acids and are a great energy source.

Now with that given....my neighbors chickens have claimed my horses stalls to lay their eggs in occasionally....
My horses have also found those eggs before I got to them too and ate them...raw.
They seemed to like them....:oops:
I however like them more for breakfast so it is a race to gather them now....;)
🐴....
Coulda fooled me! Goes to show no matter how long one has had horses, there is ALWAYS something new to learn🤠🤠.

Reactions: ClearDonkey

·
Administrator
37,086 Posts
Generally speaking, if a horse isn't in hard work and is getting sufficient good hay or a mix of good and hay and good grazing, they will maintain decent weight.

If the horse isn't doing that then the owner needs to look at their deworming regime and consider getting some blood work done to evaluate the horse's health

The protein food in the diet could be adjusted - decrease the oats and increase the alfalfa rather than add more bulk to the feed, I wouldn't increase the soy or the eggs - for those not familiar with feeding eggs - they are an excellent source of protein and used by a lot of racehorse yards in the UK and Ireland. My only BIG concern with feeding raw eggs to horses is that they're a high salmonella risk and so should only be used from hens that are vaccinated

To add weight you need a higher fat content feed like rice bran or feed a good quality sugar beet or a sugar beet based complete feed

I don't know what type of oats are being fed but whole oats definitely and even crushed oats aren't very digestible so won't help a horse gain weight.
Fed in large amounts, they'll end up sitting in the hind gut for too long, causing hind gut ulcers from excessive fermentation and undigested sugar

Oats are really only effective for weight gain if fed micronized or cooked in water - both makes them more digestible

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello, I was researching what to give to a horse so it would gain more weight and energy. Right now it's getting hay, oats, alfalfa meal, a little bit of soy, electrolytes, vitamins and 2eggs daily. The horse isn't mine but the owner asked for help. It's a 4 year old standardbred mare who isn't getting a lot of work. Thanks for the help.:D
I prefer to feed Fall Barley and use a tablespoon of dried kelp at each grain feeding...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts