The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to have an excel horse expense spreadsheet? I would love to use one so I can better keep track of how much I am actually spending on my horses :)If you do I would appreciate it if you would share it!

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
I'm with Dreamcatcher on this, I lose less sleep pretending I don't spend thousands on horses every year.
Ditto:lol:

The only spreadsheet I have is one that tells me where I buy everything that I pretend I don't spend thousands on, every year:p

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
You can easily create a spreadsheet to add up your monthly horse expenses - though not sure you'd want too - its very scary!!!
Is it maybe something you want to do in advance of buying a horse?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
There is actually a super cool and uber easy site called mint.com that you can track ALL your expenses...and create subcategories for specific horsey things. It is cloud based so that may be a concern i.e. security but thought I'd throw the suggestion out.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am with the majority I don't want to know, I especially don't want my husband to know LOL. If it is written down then there is proof, unwritten I have plausible denial on my side.

But it would be easy enough to create a spreadsheet in exel.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ignorance is my bliss. It's also my husband's bliss. I'm pretty sure my horse would be sold yesterday if I had concrete numbers for what I spend on my one horse every year.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Another option for those who actually want to know this information....there are livestock, equine, and or farm management software programs out there.
I've used some for my other farm animals and they are actually kinda cool...easy to pull reports and tract expenses as well as health management, shot records, pedigrees, breeding programs, show winnings...etc...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Is it maybe something you want to do in advance of buying a horse?
I'd be interested for this purpose, if anyone has one they'd be willing to share. I'm hoping to get a horse in the next few years and I'd like to have the info to show my husband since he likes to budget and keep track of all of our expenses like this. Although, it may not be the best idea since he asked why I didn't just get a horse instead of taking lessons... silly man :lol:

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
I think that's a good idea because as you can tell from our responses they are expensive and once its yours its yours and suddenly discovering you can't afford to pay for all its basic needs plus an emergency fund would be awful
Do you know how to create a spreadsheet/insert calculating formula into one - it would be the cheapest way to do a simple budget?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have three horses and I'm planning on breeding my mare this year and was just curious about how much I actually spend on them cause I know its a lot.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I track all my spending in Microsoft Money (which is no longer being produced, but there are other solutions like Quicken or mint.com). I categorize everything, including subcategories for all my horse expenses, so I can look back on it and get a detailed report of how much I spent on the vet, farrier, feed, board, etc very easily. It's very eye opening :shock:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does anyone happen to have an excel horse expense spreadsheet? I would love to use one so I can better keep track of how much I am actually spending on my horses :)If you do I would appreciate it if you would share it!
Oh my gosh....do you REALLY want to know how much you spend on the horses. One time I thought I did but wish I hadn't figured it up. Never again.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have done the mental math before and that was enough of a shock for me- but I can see how it would be very beneficial in your situation. There are lots of websites around that explain in detail all the ins and outs of excel.

Having used it extensively myself, I know it does so much more than most of us know how to ask it for, so it would work plenty well for your desired goal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.