The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much you would think this horse would sell for.

Lady is a 11 year old registered Arabian. She does great on the trails. Riding mostly english. Loves to try new things and super sensitive. Great feet only gets trimmed once a year. Would not be for a beginner. She has been around kids, dogs, and other wildlife. Reliable mount. This is the only picture I have of her right now. I just want a idea of what she might sell at if I ever sold her

j.jpg

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
What are you marketing her as? Just a recreational horse or suitable for competition (low level or otherwise)? By "not suitable for a beginner", what do you mean? There are a lot of things that make a horse unsuitable for beginners, some effecting sale price more than others.

With the limited information I have, I would say $2,000 to MAYBE $3,000, if your really, really lucky. Heck, you might not even get near $2,000. It just all depends on the buyer, your area, training, etc, etc...

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Brighteyes, you must live in a great part of Georgia. I'm afraid that a horse like you have would bring under $1,000 here and at the auctions I attend in GA, (such as the one in Eastanolli) you would be very lucky to get $500

Just a fact of life.

BTW, I have never heard of a horse that only needs to have his feet trimmed once per year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ohio wise, I'd say anywhere from 800-1,000, given age and condition. You couldn't push her much higher without some sort of discipline training, like dressage or barrels.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not lying. My farrier said hes never seen feet like hers that wear out perfectly...hes trimmed her once since ive had her...She is always moving and the horses runs have....its not coming to mind what it is. But she files her feet cuz she constintely moves. I was saying she was not suited for a beginner cuz she needs someone with confidence and a strong but kind leader

·
Registered
697 Posts
One of my friends sold her Arab about like yours for $950.00

BTW, I have never heard of a horse that only
needs to have his feet trimmed once per year.
That's all my horse usually needs. She gets ridden so much they wear down on their own. About once a year she gets them lightly done. This is usually during the winter when she isn't ridden quite as much. It's great!

I know someone who didn't do her horses feet in 2 years and when the farrier came out she said the horses were too short. She actually made the horse lame for a while because of it. But the girl rode her horses too hard too much on hard ground and roads.

·
Banned
593 Posts
price idk but why does she only get trimmed once a year.. thats insane.. no horse grows that slow.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Actually I have a pony that only gets done once a year. Her feet wear nearly perfect naturally. We have hard rocky ground, so that may contribute to it. Even when she does get trimmed my farrier only takes a little bit of toe off. My gelding also only gets done about 3-4 times a year, he has naturally hard feet.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Well it depends where you are, the training that she's had, and who's in the market for an arab!
BTW, good deal with the feet! Saves a lot of money!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you want to talk to my farrier. She has regular foot growth but because I ride her alot and she is constintly (?) moving and the footing at our barn really helps with the maintance of the horses feet. Shes been trimmed once since I've had her and other than a little rasp to maintain the shape she has not been done. [email protected] is my farriers email if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unless her bloodlines are out of this world, I would say $1,000 to $1,500 tops. Prices have really gone up on seasoned, hoghly trained horses but unless they specialize in something, the value has really gone down (unless you can put a kid on them with no worries).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So how much would you guess she was bought for by the previous owner. She was not even trained or halter broke and very nervous. Cuz if I sold her for what she was bought for you all would be off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bottom line, a horse is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for them. With the market down, prices will also be way down. Same thing has happened in houses, land, 401K's, etc. A lot of things aren't currently worth what someone paid a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ridehorses99, well I kinda know that. But people still sell there horses for what they bought them for. For example someone at my work is trying to sell her horse for 20,000 when I don't even think they bought him for that much. I know the market sucks but that is why I am getting opinions on what others think

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How would you figure the price if the horse was bought with 30 days as a two year old and sat til 10 year old with no further training, and then at 10 on is green broke. The previous previous owner bought her for 4,000. Cuz that seems high for a untrained 6 year old (at the time.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.