The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:my wp mare loves to trail ride. when not showing .but when we trail ride. she gets stone bruises. on her hind feet she has realy soft soles . farrier says pads on hind, are not a good idea afaired she might get thrush. who has had a horse with sogt soles

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you have a good farrier pads don't mean thrush. My TB has pads on the front, my farrier prepares dental impression mixed with copper sulfate and spreads that then does the pad then the shoe. Never had a problem with thrush and it's been a few years.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I use Jim Rickens Hoof Care, it toughens the soles and an added benefit it keeps thrush at bay. The racehorse trainers around me use it alot also.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hoof boots don't stay on all the time, just for riding. One decent investment that will last years and end up being less expensive in the long run. No thrush and plenty of opportunity for healthy feet during pasture/stall time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I was told Venice turpentine helps toughens soles. It has been proven that if horses on dirt have a gravelled area that they would cross frequently the soles will toughen. Pea gravel is excellent. It doesn't have to be over a large area.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There are several good products that your farrier can pack under the pads to prevent thrush. I have some client's horses shod in pads for ten years straight, no thrush.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
If your horse has very soft, thin soles, there is something going on there that needs addressing - maybe 'low grade' laminitis or such, worth looking into - not just the symptoms.

But yes, while thrush can be an issue & I would personally be more inclined to keep shoes off a horse with problem feet, if you're going to keep him shod, he obviously needs the extra protection of pads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've seen Keratex Hoof Hardener work wonders on soft soles. In school, we had a paint come in with soles that gave to thumb pressure. In addition to a properly prepared foot and support package, the keratex toughened up his sole. In a matter of weeks, he had no hoof tester response.

Just remember to wear gloves and safety eyewear and keep it away from the sensitive structures of the foot (coronary band, frog, etc) when applying.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Funny, my horse was always less ouchy with the farrier that trimmed to mostly live sole. For some reason, leaving all that "protection" kept the inner growing sole from hardening quicker.It must have been that leaving sole for protection didn't let the fresh sole from hardening quick enough, like didn't let the new sole dry out and get hard quick enough. Go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.