The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a question. I am going to start working with a horse I have been caring for about 3 years. The horse knows me pretty well and I know him pretty well. I get paid everyday to care for him because his owner is to "busy" to do anything with him. He is a 23 yr old thoroughbred gelding. Never raced, He is a little skiddish at times he will just spook after seeing an object that he has seen 1,000 +. My question is how would you reccomend starting him back into work. Whats the first thing you would start with, and do you have any tips.
A little about my experience, I would consider myself intermediate level riding.

·
Premium Member
23,910 Posts
Hi, with so little info I'd start him as if from scratch. Mind you, I do that for any horse I'm starting to work with. So you can ensure basics are all well understood & 'fill any Holmes' if you find them.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Hi, with so little info I'd start him as if from scratch. Mind you, I do that for any horse I'm starting to work with. So you can ensure basics are all well understood & 'fill any Holmes' if you find them.
This^^^:)

Reactions: HombresArablegacy

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I agree start right at the basic begining and if he is well trained in these areas you will progress fairly quickly through them but good to review so you know what he knows and can work from that.
Also maybe have his eyes checked

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
'Holmes' was obviously a corrective thing - must have spelled holes wrongly!
Well, if I found any Holmeses that needed it, I would certainly fill them.
:smile::smile::smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts