The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ice is having loose poop again it's making a mess of his tail an legs.

He's on probiotics gets no grain no molasses. Forage only diet with vit/min supplement custom made from horse tech.

Hay isn't great so bought lick tubs. This is only change but loose poop,was an issue before lick tubs were put out. Lick tubs are equilix molasses free.

Figured horses need extra nutrition. Plus he's not reliably finishing his supplement. Eats some of it but fair amount is in feed pan.

He's kinda gotten picky again about eating. Eats hay reliably but not alfalfa pellets an supplement he's always eaten it no issues. So why is he gotten picky???

He was just seen by vet end of October teeth checked an blood work all was good.

I'll be talking to vet sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Do you have leaves from anything blowing into his area or can he get to any type of bush or tree that is changing color and/or dropping its leaves?

I think it was last week that we had record breaking temps in the low 80’s. Rusty’s and Joker’s butts were so messy when they came in at night, I had to wash both them with shampoo, then rinse — in their stalls.

They had been having a minor issue before the heat but it got so bad last week, the only thing that stopped me from calling the vet was I knew I wouldn’t get an answer.

I had suspected they were eating something that changed its chemistry (to now make it tasty to a horse), add 80 degree heat with the really thick coat they both have, and I have horses with runny bums.

1. Sure enough the temps dropped 20-something degrees and the messy butts ALMOST cleared up - almost, so that means excessively high temps were a contributing factor,

2. DH saw Joker eating dead leaves like they were candy, down by the Pet Sematary Sunday, and I know Rusty has a favorite eating spot up on the ridge that makes him get the runny bums.

3. I know it isn’t anything in their feed pan because, nothing changed there, they barely had issues by morning feeding, after they had been stalled all night and ATM Joker is eating last years hay, while Rusty is eating this years hay, so it isn’t the hay.

If you’ve had any kind of excessive warmup and your horses can get their teeth on any sort of plant that changes its chemistry in the Fall, that’s probably the issue.

While neither of mine lost their appetite, something like that could be enough to make Ice lose his appetite. Since Ice doesn’t want to eat, it might be best to give the vet a ring:)

I almost dread the Fall season. IR Joker is more prone to have a laminitis episode and these two horses find stuff to eat they shouldn’t be eating.

They aren’t short on pasture— Rusty has ~19 acres, Joker has ~6 acres and they both have free access to the barn and hay during the day:(

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No record breaking heat wave here just above freezing or below. Corral ice is in has no leaves or anything for him to eat. Ground is snow/ice covered.

He's locked out of pasture firearms deer hunting. He's the right color to be mistaken for a deer you know. Last week of hunting season,so if they haven't gotten a deer ,their desperate an will shoot anything that moves. So my horses are up near barn.

I fed him timothy pellets with supplement last night. Put it in the lick tub and he ate it all go figure. Tried the alfalfa pellets this morning he's decided he doesn't like them any more.

He doesn't act sick just a messy butt an tail. Hay was pretty much cleaned up this morning. Gave him two scoops of the probiotic last night and this morning. I'm using gutwerks probiotic so not a cheapy one.

He always eats hay that's never an issue. It's hard feed he gets picky about. It's hay pellets timothy or alfalfa.

I called vet waiting for a call back. He's had this issue before. Happens about this time of year. Suppose to be mid 40s today so will wash his butt an tail. Will use warm water don't think he'd appreciate an ice cold water bath.

Only change is the equilix tub. He had issues before I ever put out the tubs. Here's the label on the equilix.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
I fed the Equilix tub to my Arab, when he hit 27, had missing teeth, had trouble holding weight. It’s a good alternative for some horses, IMHO:)

I also feed GutWerks propbiotic to my horses and it’s never let me down, lollol

Please update when you talk to your vet. I’m pretty sure my two are eating stuff they should t and the heat got to them but I am still all ears on your vet’s thoughts:):)

Reactions: ngonazcom

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Vet did finally call back had me bring in a fresh manure sample. Going to do a fecal egg count and also check for blood in manure.

Because ice has had issues in past with hindgut ulcers. Doesn't hurt to check things out. Will find out tomorrow what's going on. Do have to work so 5:15am get up. Horses need fed before I leave here at 6 am. Plus I need to change Ice's blankets. Medium weight with neck cover, switched out for a light weight with no neck cover.

Mr I have no winter coat boy, still pretty much slick.

Edit to add : has equilix 50 lb tub almost gone. It's two weeks since I put it out. Maybe 2 or 3 more days and it will be gone.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Have you ever seen a questions asked section for this product?
I was curious as you had Ice doing so well, now back to square one and the only changing fact was the mineral lick..
So...I found you this..

In certain instances, a horse may consume too much trace-mineralized block, which might lead to overconsumption of some minerals. ... Horses who eat too much salt may exhibit signs of colic, diarrhea, frequent urination, weakness, and recumbency.

This was specific to your product the answer came.
Seeing that in print as a answer my first thing done would be yank that tub out of the reach of Ice...
A 50 pound tub should last 2 horses more than 2 weeks if normal consuming is 1 pound a day...that is major to much ingested for me. You should have just about 1/2 the tub gone, not near empty.
Ice may not be able to have free-choice of this kind of product but need a specific amount fed for his own good.
Nothing to lose but seeing the icks disappear or not..
🐴

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the results for the fecal egg count was a bit high 1,200 epg. He had been de wormed 2 weeks ago.

Also had some blood in manure so going to treat for ulcers.

@horselovinguy no hadn't seen that about equilix tubs. By the time I saw the post he had already finished tub. I also had already put out new tub. He isn't licking on it as much now. I'll pull tub out of corral tonight, only leave it in for him during the day.

Horses aren't together they have there own lick tubs, cinder has hardly made a dent in his tub.
To small an area and to much fighting goes on ,over hay or any kind of feed. Ice is low man so gets beat up.

His manure is a little more solid not as much on his legs or in his tail.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I posted this around February. My neighbor had a wonderful horse that was everything she wanted. He kept having chronic diarrhea. Many vet visits, antibiotics, and feed changes, to the tune of $6,000, but he kept getting worse. Finally, he got so bad, the vet recommended he be put down. Heartbreaking.

So, months later, my neighbor finally bought another horse--wonderful horse, dream come true. After about 2 weeks, again, terrible diarrhea. But her yearling Gypsy vanner had no problems, ever. Finally my friend brainstormed what could possibly be something both horses were doing that the Gypsy vanner did not do? She surmised it was the Himalayan salt. She googled Himalayan salt and discovered it causes terrible diarrhea in dogs, cats, and humans if consumed in large quantities. Both the horses loved the fancy expensive Himalayan salt she provided for them, but the Gypsy vanner barely licked it. She removed the salt, and the diarrhea cleared up. It took a month for the horse's system to regulate, but she hasn't had a problem since.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
@knightrider I am glad you relayed that story again. I was trying to remember who posted it (y) (y)

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@knightrider yes I remember you posting about that. I don't buy himalayan salt for my horses never have. I just have plain white salt blocks an loose salt.

He was fine till about 2 weeks ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts