The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a horse last winter. And I've never had a horse before so i thought my horse looked underweight so i kept feeding him to get his weight up. Turns out he wasn't underweight, but now he is overweight, lazy. I just don't want his feet to get messed up because of the weight. Not sure what i should do. Any suggestions on how to get him to drop weight?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Less feed, more exercise is the best way. While you don't want to short him on hay you can use a slow feeder net or supplying small amounts often whichever works out best for you.

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
Just like humans, eat less, move more!

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
:dance-smiley05::starbucks::starbucks::rofl: Couldn't find the cookies.

All funnies aside - if he is overweight then cut his feed back. Many do well on forage alone or combined with a ration balancer. No need for adding more calories. Getting him in motion burns the extra.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
It would be good to have a vet involved, or at least an experienced mentor. It can be hard to tell when they're ideal especially since they are all so different, and "weight" is only the tip of the iceberg, there's 110000 other things to know about health and care and handling even with the easiest horse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts