The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not sure where to put this but I’ve become very curious about how to tell how tall a horse will be when mature. I have been seeing posts on here about foals and others about how tall a horse will end up which got me thinking. I’ve read that it can depend on breed, but that there is a standard rule of thumb to guess a horse’s matured height. All my searches have not come up very helpful/clear, so I was wondering if anyone could help me on this. Thank you for your replies in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
There are many factors that effect finished height. Skeletal height is basically achieved by the 3rd year. This link shows when growth is done for the different bones. Beyond that point height may change with muscle and hoof growth. It won't change drastically but there can be a small amount added. There is as with everything a range that is normal for finished growth.

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
This comes from an old article in I think Beyond the Bit

SPECIFIC METHODS OF PREDICTING HEIGHT
  1. MOST ACCURATE is to measure elbow to ergot/fetlock with a string. Then "flip" the string, rotating from the elbow and raising the bottom part of the string up, vertical and taut, aligned with the wither. This is the final horse height.
  2. Second string test method: measure from the front part of the coronet band on the hoof right where the hoofwall meets hair, and pull a string straight up to the center of the horses knee (where the dip is in the middle of the joint). That measurement will co-incide with the horses final height. So if the measurement is 15 and 3/4 inches, the horse will be 15'3.
  3. Evaluate your youngster's general conformation as a yearling or later. Is he or she extremely lanky/gawky, or are the proportions more similar to an adult/mature horse. If it is the latter, your horse may not grow much more.
  4. Rough guesstimate at one year, take current height and add two hands.
  5. The cannon bone has reached its full length at one year old, and it is about 98% its full length at birth. Compare a baby's knee height to its mom, or to others its age, or to other broodmares. Find an adult whose knees are roughly the same distance from the ground, the baby/youngster is likely to end up the same or similar height.
By 36 months most horses have achieved between 98 and 100% of skeletal height. That final two percent in those not done is gained by 5.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I was told wait until it is one year old. Measure from the center of the knee to hairline on the hoof. How many inches is how many hands tall. Worked on my draft mixes.

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
I will say for drafts and some draft crosses growth is slower from 6 to 18 months old. After that they tend to catch up in percent growth per year. Though they may still lag slightly the amount of growth is not a large amount.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I will say for drafts and some draft crosses growth is slower from 6 to 18 months old. After that they tend to catch up in percent growth per year. Though they may still lag slightly the amount of growth is not a large amount.
Drafts and mixes mature slower. at yearlings they look pretty funky. lol. Mine got quite ugly . Their looks improved when they were 2 , and then they kept growing and growing and growing. They stopped at age 7 .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts