The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse has a myler combo bit. I noticed that he seems to hold it up with his mouth. I can tell because I opened his mouth to check everything out and it slowly dropped by his teeth and he was trying to suck it back up with his toung. He doesn’t chew just holds it. I this because of pain? Should I life the bit a hole? Help me out!!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If he holds it and doesn't chew, toss his head, or get mad when you use the reins, it's probably nothing to worry about. Do you have a picture of it in his mouth?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
If the bit dropped slowly by his teeth I would think the bit is too loose in his mouth. It looked ok in the picture but you could try taking it up a notch and see how that works for him.
the bit should not be resting on his teeth

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he holds it and doesn't chew, toss his head, or get mad when you use the reins, it's probably nothing to worry about. Do you have a picture of it in his mouth?
it looks perfect to me. and the horse looks relaxed and comfortable and engaged in his surroundings. a nice shot of happy rider and happy horse.
Looks fine from this angle but to really tell we'd have to get a picture up close.
This is when it is loose. And he holds itup. If he does t it hits his teeth ⬆
This is sized up a whole and is naturally sitting where he was holding it. His lips seem a little to stretched tho?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This isahole up. I did notice to see moreof the mouthpiece like this....is that bad?
this is whenhe hold it. And bangs his teeth if he doesn’t. You can’t see the mouthpiece.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Many would love for their horse to want to hold the bit willingly.
That action permits a soft and moist mouth of compliance and soft hands at the reins giving cues.
If she is not fussing, I would leave it alone and return your changes to what was...
The horse was working well for you?
Not sure I would want to make changes that could upset the animal and way of going if they are happy and content.
🐴...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many would love for their horse to want to hold the bit willingly.
That action permits a soft and moist mouth of compliance and soft hands at the reins giving cues.
If she is not fussing, I would leave it alone and return your changes to what was...
The horse was working well for you?
Not sure I would want to make changes that could upset the animal and way of going if they are happy and content.
🐴...
I just worry bcs if he lets go it instantly will collide with his teeth

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
You as his handler must guide that bit from the mouth not just let it drop.
As for the horse dropping it...if it bothers him he will do it once and not again if it bothered him.
My horse holds his bit and he drops it when told to do so to my waiting hand...no clunk of teeth happens.
My guy actually lets it slide off his tongue so controls the path of travel as it leaves the mouth.
Sticks his tongue out at me every time we go for a ride... 🤣
🐴...

·
Registered
49,421 Posts
I was taught to 'allow' the horse to drop the bit when unbridling. Let him do it the way he wants. However, to avoid him clunking it on his own teeth, the horse should be holding his head well lowered during unbridlling. Just as he should when you bridle him. teaching the horse to lower his head during this process, and hold it there , is very important to good tacking up /detacking , and to his obedience to your requests. And, he should not be FORCED into lowering his head. It is taught so that he is perfectly fine about it,, like it's just a little thing you do, like lifting his feet now and then should also become a nothing event.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts