The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I have a Thoroughbred filly I'll be sending off to a trainer soon, and I'm hoping to get her mortality insurance for purchase value of $2k (I could not afford another horse otherwise if she dies - knock on wood). I put in to Broadstone Equine and they gave me a quote from The Hartford. It seems like a decent policy (2k mortality, 1k colic, 5k major medical/surgical) but looking at some reviews on the Internet for their homeowner insurance (NOT equine) brought up a few VERY negative reviews on their policies. This has kind of spooked me as it reflects on the company itself. Anyone recently interacted with The Hartford for their horse?

Furthermore, I've looked into Great American insurance due to a recommendation on here. Any other equine insurance companies that you've interacted with that are tried and true? I.e. your horse died/was injured and compensation/customer service was quick and friendly? Or any horror stories/what to stay away from?

Thank you!

P.S. to the last post I ghosted, my other two mares are being euthanized hopefully this month, and I've worked out arrangements with the vet school. Phew.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Call my friend Mary at Markel! Now, I didn't have a claim, but they did refund my entire purchase price when the horse came back from a trial after 2 months!

·
Registered
152 Posts
We have Hartford on both of our horses. They were very quick to pay when our mare got a mild case of pneumonia (according to our vet). They do not pay for farm calls, but they do cover the other costs, after the deductible.
We added $7000.00 surgery and major medical coverage to ours.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I have Plains Horizon on both of my horses. While I have never had to file a claim (thank goodness!) they have been very easy to work with.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm not sure why you couldn't find another horse otherwise? Around here, you could get a free or cheap horse easily. A few hundred dollars if you want something broke.

I paid $600 for my super quiet, bomb proof foxtrotter. $400 for Angel the pony. I was offered a healthy weanling for $100...someone the other day was giving away 2 free horses. There certainly isn't a shortage of free/cheap horses.

Some horses, like my fox trotter, have absolutely nothing wrong with them- just need to be sold due to changing circumstances.

Medical coverage is nice if something should happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.