The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got a new horse yesterday. He is a 3 year old arabian and is a sweetie. Today i was out and just spending time with him and rubbing him all over. When i rubbed him on his head, behind his ears, and neck he would start to rub his head up against me. But when i went to rub around his belly and butt he would turn his butt towards me more and almost try to follow me with it and bump into me. I tried not to let him get to far with that but he cornered me a few times. I've never known a horse to do the butt thing before. I dont know if he wanted me to scratch it, was going to kick me, or any other possibility out there.

What are your opinions on the butt thing or have you had any experience with that?

How far is it okay to let him rub up against me or should i just try to stop it all together?

·
Registered
380 Posts
personally, i'd not accept the butt movement.
i can scratch my guy from head to butt, and he only ever rubs his head on me for more scratches. he does like the back of his back leg scratched, and he'll do the funny lip flap thing, but he doesnt move his butt.

i dont have advice, just my experience. sorry :oops:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I haven't had any experience with that, because I don't let any horse get to that point with me. Even if you see it as a cute, leaning into your scratch gesture, it isn't. If the horse is moving his body towards you, and you move your feet away in return, that horse has just moved you. In horse terms, he calls the shots.

When I take the bridle off my gelding, I let him use my fingers to scratch his forehead. He knows to be gentle and I say when enough is enough, and since I have created those boundaries, we are fine.

You should start creating your own boundaries with your new green horse sooner rather than later, and personally I don't think hindquarters moving into a person is ok in any circumstance- it's a safety thing and we need to establish ground rules to keep ourselves safe in the presence of these big silly creatures first and foremost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.