The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the vet just left... love him... and said that Flash has foundered and has slight lameness in his right front leg... I have a farrier coming on Friday so this will be a long shoeing process.... I will be careful with the green grass and his said NO grain... any other things I need to know???

Remember I am a newbie and inherited the horse....:-(

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
That's all the vet said? Nothing about anti-inflammatories? Keeping the horse immobilized? Getting a farrier out sooner than Friday? Padding the feet?

Wait, is this acute, chronic, or old founder we're talking about here?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Usually, a vet will give you a treatment plan with specific instructions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well???

I am sure it is probably chronic since I just got the horse on Saturday.... (inherited)... I can't get the farrier here before Friday... today is Wednesday... he did say the farrier would have to do some work and probably shoe... No grain, no riding until probably next year and no sweet long grasses... that's all I got.... he didn't prescribe any anti-inflammatories...

I will be ok if Flash has to be a pet and can't be ridden... I want him to have a good life and will try in anyway I can to make it better.... at least now he will have some care and loving from me and my family....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure...

It isn't too bad, noticeable to the vet... but he didn't seem too concerned.. I just figured his walk was off because of the overgrown hooves....:cry:

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
OK, so it's a maintenance and corrective shoeing thing, not an emergency. Manage his weight--that's super important. And strictly follow the feeding regimen your vet gave you, with the no grass, etc. He may end up being rideable, but even if he is, he should probably never be ridden super hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts