The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 year old gelding has started tossing his head while riding him. I think it is due to gnats that seem to fly around him. I use a fly mask with a nose shield, it does not help. I have tried every cream, spray and ointment out there, also putting SWAT in and around his nostrils. At first i thought he had developed a vice, but he does not toss his head at all when it is cool out and not bugs. I just had the dentist out, no problems there, I have been using the same bit for 5-6 years so I dont think it would be the bit. Any suggestions, it is barely any fun trail riding him with a horse that is constantly tossing his head up HIGH and down again....thank you.

· Registered
59 Posts
Get him vet checked to completely rule out anything physically wrong with him as it does not sound like a fly issue. Fly repellents should work if it was a fly problem so I still think he needs to be checked by a vet. I'd being doing a full body vet check because there's so many different reasons why he could be tossing his head.

· Registered
354 Posts
He's talking to you and telling you something is not right. Listen and break it down to physical and equipment. Since you've already eliminated the dental issue, I'd consider that's it you or your bit. He's not happy with something.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get him vet checked to completely rule out anything physically wrong with him as it does not sound like a fly issue. Fly repellents should work if it was a fly problem so I still think he needs to be checked by a vet. I'd being doing a full body vet check because there's so many different reasons why he could be tossing his head.
Thanks, Im going to start with the chiropractor, Im thinking now maybe a pinched nerve in his neck....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts