Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a situation for you. What would you do if you bought a horse that was too green for your experience level?

I unrightly bought a mare that is way to green for my experience, and I can't afford an trainers around here.

I have only had her for 4 months.

What would you do?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Sell her and start looking for a horse that is more your speed. If you can get someone that is knowledgeable and can help you choose the right horse and make sure you aren't being gypped by any shoddy deals.

If you can't sell her the only real way you'll be able to make it out with minimal holes in her training (and bruises for you) is to get lessons or at least a more experienced friend who can give you some pointers on how to go about training her correctly.

Good luck, stay safe!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yes I agree with Walkamile. Sell her and find a horse more suited for you. There is no sense in you getting hurt when there are plenty horses available who are broke, safe, been there done that type.

·
Super Moderator
10,239 Posts
I'm sure you find yourself in this situation. But good for you for recognizing the horse may not be right for you.

I hope you are able to find a horse that you can really enjoy.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Agree. Kudos to you for realizing the horse is beyond your limitations.

If the horse is not a good fit for the rider, SELL IT. And find a horse that is more suitable for you. Both you and the horse will be happier.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
If a trainer is not an option the best thing to do is to sell it and buy a horse more suited to you.

Be selective and careful when buying your next horse. Even if you don't have a regular trainer, consider hiring one to test your horse for you and make a recommendation. It won't cost much in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Story of my life, lol! Every horse I've had has gotten progressively less trained/handled, and at the time way beyond my experience level. To boot I never had the option of sellin, nor did I have any money at all, being a kid =/ I've to date never had a 'broke' horse, to start out with D; However they have all left their marks, for good or bad (mostly good, thankfully).

However, I would agree with everyone so far... that if you don't have the time or money to get the horse to the places he needs to be, sell him so that someone else can.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with everyone else! Find a great new owner for her. It's a tough choice, but for your own enjoyment and safety, you should probably find a horse that is a better fit for you.

·
Super Moderator
10,239 Posts
I'm sure you find yourself in this situation. But good for you for recognizing the horse may not be right for you.

I hope you are able to find a horse that you can really enjoy.
That was supposed to be "I'm sorry you find yourself in..."

Stupid autocorrect. :oops:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with others. It's unfortunate that you've found yourself stuck like this but since you can't get a trainer, the best option would be to re-home the horse and either save up your money for some lessons or look for a more suitable type of horse.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've been there, and I sold her on to a friend who has been riding all her life. They were a good fit, I was not! Better to sell early rather than ruin a good but green horse with my lack of experience was my reasoning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.