The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I take my leased school horse (19 yo TB) back to his stall after a session, he'll often extend his head and nose toward me and sort of cranks his head sideways with his ears relaxed. No head shaking or swinging. Is this a positive sign or maybe because he just wants a treat? Or is he saying "Why are you still here?". I've been riding him for five months and he's always been friendly and pretty gentle but I don't want to misread him.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Sounds to me like he is begging for something...
Treats, attention, scratches...
He succeeded...has your attention with you writing this question.

My horse does the same...begs for attention but he wouldn't mind if you gave him something to eat. :wink:
Just make sure anything shared is your idea not the horses.
Do not allow him to become pushy cause then its no longer fun but obnoxious.

Oops... WELCOME to the Forum!!

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
When I take my leased school horse (19 yo TB) back to his stall after a session, he'll often extend his head and nose toward me and sort of cranks his head sideways with his ears relaxed. No head shaking or swinging. Is this a positive sign or maybe because he just wants a treat? Or is he saying "Why are you still here?". I've been riding him for five months and he's always been friendly and pretty gentle but I don't want to misread him.
He likes you!! Give him a pet and maybe even a hug! You must be doing something right, and I think he is grateful for your kindness.

Of course he would probably enjoy a treat too :apple:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts