The Horse Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My horse had an injury last year like this. I used vetericyn (recommended by my vet and worked so well!) while bandaging. At the point you are at now I was bandaging every second day providing the bandage lasted well. I would rinse the wound as long as there was still the slimy stuff being produced on it. Then I would pad it dry Spray the wound with vetericyn, spray non stick pad with vetericyn and then wrap with guaze roll (not too tight) then vet wrap or just the vet wrap. For a while when the wound was still a fair size I would put a standing bandage on as well. When we were okay'ed for work his wound was much smaller than your horses seems to be and I made sure the wound was bandaged and used polo's. If you want to chat about this feel free to e-mail me cjandr @ Hotmail.com (take out spaces). Vetericyn was all I used and it was awesome, my horses didn't seem to be bothered by it at all he stood ground tied with a hay bag for this process for over 2 months.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
I think it looks like it is healing. From the color, and what I can see of the surface, it looks like a wound that is filling in.

If you get very aggressive with the hose, you will only be washing away the single cell thickness of epithelial tissue (new skin) that first covers a wound.

I'm also not a fan of many of the wound dressings. Too often they restrict the flexibility of the surface area and the wound ends up more scarred. I will occasionally put a light coating (very light) of Aluspray. Other than that I keep the borders clean, remove and visible dirt (usually with a damp cotton swab), and keep the flies away by treating the un-involved skin around the wound (about 1/2" from the borders).

But, like most things horsey, they are many ways and the horse is okay in the end. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry about the slow response, I got locked out of my account for some reason.

So here is an updated picture of the wound after a little less than a week with the icthammol on it. The vet is now having me switch to a steroid spray to help with the proud flesh. It felt very weird as it goes on clear, I was having a hard time telling if I was getting it everywhere I needed to get it! It also felt very strange to wrap her leg up with what felt like nothing on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My horse Red also had a cut down to the bone recently.

I'm surprised the vet okay'ed you to hand walk her, or even trot her. Personally, I would NOT be doing any sort of exercise with your horse right now. She'd be on the stall rest. The more she moves, the more the wound moves, the slower it is going to heal.

For a deep bone injury, I would also personally still be wrapping it.

MINIMIZE how much you cold hose it. Any stimulation like that will encourage over-granulation (AKA proud flesh). Therefore, if you wrap it, the wound stays clean and you don't have to mess with cleaning it.

For 2 months on my boy, he was on stall rest and I changed the bandage every 2 days. I used silver sulfdiazine on the wound. When needed, I used hydrocortisone cream on any proud flesh. BAndaging was also a good idea in my case because he got hurt at the end of August and the flies were just nuts. Keeping it wrapped was an easy solution to keep the flies off it.

When I transitioned to finally being done bandaging it, I tried Underwoods and I was NOT happy with the swelling reaction I got on the wound. I know there are those that speak volumes about Underwoods but I was not impressed, and thought the general wound cream I had worked much better.
She has a metabolic disease that makes stall rest impossible. In fact even just standing around in her individual turn out without daily exercise has started to make her symptomatic again. I have no idea what either of us would do if she really, really had to be on stall rest.

I have been trying to not wash it at all. I was washing it regularly, but when I started to really think about it it just didn't make sense to keep irritating it. My vet agreed, so her leg looks a bit nasty right now and has that god awful "kept wrapped up too long without air" smell...

·
Registered
771 Posts
We had a mare that cut her leg down to the bone, it was healing great then opened up again and then would not heal. The vet had to go in and remove a chunk of bone that had died and broken off. After that she healed quick and no t much of a scar left. Maybe something to consider

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don't think bone chips are an issue here, thankfully.

I have been using the steroid for about five days now, and the leg is doing all kinds of weird things. Anybody have any experience using prescription steroids on wounds for proud flesh? I emailed the vet the pictures, but it was after hours so I probably won't hear back until tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
The proud flesh looks to be below skin level with the wound mostly filled in.
I would stop using the steroid it & see what happens.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was just dried blood from the proud flesh bleeding so much and so easily, or if the black stuff is something else I should be worried about. At least it has stopped bleeding at the drop of a hat, that is super good news. I couldn't even dab the old medicine off of the wound to put new medicine on without it starting to bleed quite a bit.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts