Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We had a vet visit us today and give our 3 Clydesdales worming mixture. The horses were fine for 3 hours, then, out of nowhere, one of them started to be shaky on his feet. He had a high temperature and wanted to lie down.

To make a long story short, currently he is collapsed and not moving. His eyes are still open and is breathing and blinking. We've tried to get him up on his feet but he's not trying (its a bit hard to get a ton or so Clydesdale to stand when he doesn't want to!) He no longer has a temperature and the vet doesn't know what else to try. The vet can’t get anything down his throat, but has given him a pain killer. The horse’s lips are floppy and his tongue is hanging out.

We’re not sure whether it’s a side effect to the worming mixture because the other horses haven’t had any problems.

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
He is being seen by a vet and they do not know what to do being there with him hands on?

I suppose it is time to find a different vet, ASAP.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Sounds as if the horse is definately having a reaction and in shock. Better get another vet out and do something quick if the vet that gave him the worming mixture won't do anything. Just because one or two horses don't have a reaction, doesn't mean the third one is not going to either.

What kind of "mixture" Did he tube the mixture in? Or give it by mouth?
Sounds like whatever he used caused a major reaction in this one horse.. It happens like that with anything: a bunch of horses get vaccinations, and one has a reaction and dies.
This horse could very easily die if he doesn't get up soon

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Sounds like anaphylactic shock. The horse is apparently allergic to something in the dewormer.

Do you know what brand name dewormer it was? I've known several people who have lost horses due to giving them Quest, which is why I won't personally use it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Geeze. I really hope you're horse gets better real soon.

First off I wanna say that I am no expert and I know very little compared to many experts.

But I choose whole-istic approaches for myself and my animals. I try to do things the way that nature has designed em. There are natural wormers for living things which nature grows. And the man made mixed chemicals can be destructive. Even when you can't see a reaction right away, like you have been witnessing, those destructive properties stay in the body for years. Even an entire lifetime if the body isn't cleansed of em.

If it were my horse I would find someone else that knew what they were doing. Since the vet doesn't know, I'd be throwing up red flags. Find another vet. And/or find a holistic person with many years experience. And ask them what to do. "Which is not me."

Now with all that said and outta the way........

I would look into bentonite clay.

I just did a quick search and here's a brief description which sums it up pretty well.

"Bentonite Clay is an effective and powerful healing clay used to treat both internal and external maladies. Its greatest power lies in its ability to absorb toxins, impurities, heavy metals and other internal contaminants. When mixed with water, it rapidly swells open like a highly porous sponge. The toxins are drawn in by electrical attraction and are then bound and flushed out of the system."

·
Registered
851 Posts
What product did the horse receive? I have also heard of ivermectin poisoning.
Why can the vet "not get anything into him"? Do you mean by mouth (tube) or via injection? That does not make sense to me...unless he already gave the horse everything he could?
Did yiu pull blood than try running some fluids? Did he have dex? Antihisthamine?
Hope everything turns out. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds like anaphylactic shock. The horse is apparently allergic to something in the dewormer.

Do you know what brand name dewormer it was? I've known several people who have lost horses due to giving them Quest, which is why I won't personally use it.
Agreed. It scares the heck outta me too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
" Digger" is up and well!!!!

Thank you everyone who posted ! This is a long post post for those who are interested in how our situation all panned out. This all started about 4 yesterday afternoon when Digger become obviously unwell and collapsed and finished when we were able to led him home about 1:30 this morning. It was like a miracle - about 10:30 the vet advised us that there was nothing more she could do and we should consider putting him down. We didn't feel that it was at that point ourselves so we persisted.
We live in a fairly remote area of south east Queensland and she had been conferring with the top horse vet in Queensland via phone. The best help we got was from an old horse dealer from whom we purchase our horses. Whoever said it was shock is right on the money.
Don't know if anyone else has clydesdales and have attempted to tube them but the vet had to use her smallest tube and he was still not impressed especially after having been wormed in this manner earlier in the day. I'd be interested to know if clydesdales are know to have this issue as all three of our's needed the "foal tube".
Anyway she eventually was able to insert the tube and drench him.
We also have previously had wonderful success with homeopathic remedies when a homeopath lived next door(unfortunately that is years ago now). I still had some drops for shock which we gave him just a little while before she was able to drench him. don't know if that was coincidence but I tend to think not since she had been trying for 5 hours prior to this.
Unfortunately, last night was a bit of a blur and I can't tell you which worming mix she used but I will post the brand when I find out from her later today - we definitely need to know so we don't ever let him have it again!
This morning Digger appears to be fine and everything seems to be moving through him fine- his droppings are full of worms - he must have had a large worm burden.
So thanks again for all your feedback, sorry we were not around on line long enough to respond but we couldn't wait any longer and had to get back to the horse beside the road.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
This morning Digger appears to be fine and everything seems to be moving through him fine- his droppings are full of worms - he must have had a large worm burden.
This is most likely the culprit - It is often advised to use a daily dewormer on a low dose on horses who are suspected of having large worm burdens as dropping all those worms at once can cause shock and soemtimes death.

Here is a bit about it from the Fugly blog - Different wormers to what we have in AUS but same principle:

Sometimes parasite infestation is so severe that worms can be seen in the horse’s feces. This should be seen as an urgent situation – you need to get on top of it but you have to be careful. It is absolutely true that blasting a heavily infested horse with a strong dewormer may result in colic. This is because all of the worms dying at once can form an impaction in the intestines. There are various opinions on the best way to prevent this. I personally agree with starting a horse like this on daily dewormer like Strongid C because it’s a mild dose – unlikely to shock their system in any way. Then, a few weeks into rehab, you can either go with a Panacur Powerpac (considered the best by most, but more expensive) or give a normal tube of Strongid. A month later, an Ivermectin and that should get most horses pretty “cleaned out” after which they can resume a normal rotational deworming program.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
No worries. Took me a while to find the info - I knew I read it somwhere but finding it again was a different matter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Thanks for that info - Digger is a new horse to us - hence the worming. I'll print this off for future reference.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
^ Oh definitely - I worm all new horses also. It's kind of hit and miss with horses you don't have history on - I would only consider doing the daily dewormer if they had obvious signs of a big infestation - Worm belly, itching, uneven shedding. It's not your fault at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.