The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a student at MSU and am taking a horse management class this semester. I have a project to do where I can own as many horses as I want, basically, I start from the ground up...anyways I chose to have my horse farm in Kentucky. There's a farrier section that I have to complete, but I'm not sure what the average prices for trimming and shoeing are in Kentucky. For my project, two of my horses will be trimmed every 6 weeks, and two horses will be shod. One of the horses will be competing in saddle seat classes and the other will be doing three-day eventing. Any help with pricing in KY will help.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I am a student at MSU and am taking a horse management class this semester. I have a project to do where I can own as many horses as I want, basically, I start from the ground up...anyways I chose to have my horse farm in Kentucky. There's a farrier section that I have to complete, but I'm not sure what the average prices for trimming and shoeing are in Kentucky. For my project, two of my horses will be trimmed every 6 weeks, and two horses will be shod. One of the horses will be competing in saddle seat classes and the other will be doing three-day eventing. Any help with pricing in KY will help.
Is the saddleseat horse going to have packing on the fronts?

Your eventer horse will have the most expense, as they will likely need hot shoeing, clips and studs.

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
Is this hypothetical? While if it's for real horses, 'it depends' to some degree, as you might find cheap, but 'good' may be a different ballgame, and as AA said, depends what exactly is needed. And if real, ringing a farrier to just ask their prices doesn't tend to... win friends & influence people! But if it's hypothetical, purely for a course, why not ring a farrier & tell them so & ask their prices??

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Just as a wild (yet educated) guess, because I don't live in KY, I would say $200-250 for the eventer to hot shoe all around with clips and studs.

The other horse for the padding up the front, plain shoe in back, $150-200

Trimming the other two should be about $80-100 each.

This will have to be done every 6 weeks. Could need them every 3-5 weeks, depending on the hooves, or some could go as long as 8 weeks.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I was paying $160 for hot shoe with plain shoes 15 yrs ago. Not a lot of farriers do hot shoes, so pay a premium. Plus eventers being in top show barns, usually, one is going to pay more for everything anyway.

My current farrier charges $60 for front shoes, so $120 all around. I buy my own shoes. He is about the middle, price wise.

Trimming is a lot cheaper, at $35 all around, BUT he is much cheaper than most to trim.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Around here 40$ to 50$ to trim 85$ for front shoes 180$ for all 4.

There are cheaper farriers 30$ to trim and 60$ for fronts shoes 160$ for all 4.

I pay 85$ all 4 shoes 90$ for pads on fronts shod all 4. 30$ for a trim.

Just because you pay more doesn't mean it's good work..

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
My farrier doesn't charge me extra for regular pads, but the elevated pads that are strapped onto gaited walkers in the front run about $50 just for the pads. The system is called a package and costs more than regular pads.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
@AnitaAnne,Ice only needs pads for protection,from the hard Rocky ground.

Does fine barefoot in winter can ride never an ouchy step. Once snow is gone he'll need shoes pads again. 5 Dollars more isn't a big deal. Pretty much pads last entire season, so next shoe cycle it's 85 charge as usual.

Yeah I've heard of the strap on package for the Tennessee walkers. Had no idea the cost though.

There is a barefoot trimmer, who also does shoes he charges 200$ for shoes all 4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts