The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was thinking about having massage done for my horse. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it help the horse feel better? Can it do any harm? And finally, around about what would it cost?
Thanks for any input, I'm just learning and exploring new things with an open mind.:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Some horses love it and it helps them a ton, other horses (like mine) don't really care and nothing happens. But my horse also doesn't have any issues with stiffness or pain. I'm sure that a bad massage therapist may cause harm, just like any other body worker who screws up. In general I would not worry, though, especially if they have good references and experience.

If you do have a specific issue you want to work on you should consider whether massage or chiropractic care would be best, or a combination of both.

The equine massage therapist I used costs $60 for an hour.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Talk to other experienced horsemen in your area for an idea of cost, and to get the names of whomever they've used and whether or not they were satisfied with that individual.

A good massage therapist can really benefit a horse that is having muscular problems, and works especially well when combined with chiropractic work. What your horse would benefit most from depends on the horse, and what issues you're having.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your advice. I will be asking people around here for reputable people they would recommend. My guy is an older gent with some muscle soreness in his back, nothing major, vet checked him out so no huge issues, but I thought it might be beneficial and I figure who doesn't like a nice massage!

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
When one of mine got older (now passed) my good friend and farrier showed me 3 easy "massage" things to do. I did them nearly every day, and yes...he benefited w/o a doubt.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Yes I have my horses regularly worked on by an RMT who also does myofascial release. Even though there is nothing wrong with them, they enjoy the treatments and I believe it does help normal muscle development.
My guy at first was very stoic, but after the first 5 or 6 treatments he became more expressive and now tells the RMT exactly where she needs to work. He loves her hahaha.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.