The Horse Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went ahead and contacted both the police department and animal control. The officer told me that a deputy would be out because they've had so many problems with these people before. Then he put me through to animal control, who said they would look into it, so I'm hoping they're out today.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe I missed it, if this has already been suggested: Call a rescue. Get them involved. They have more contacts, more experience and more resources that could help with this. Google "equine rescue" and your state; or call your local Humane Society. They can be like rabid dogs -- haha! -- when it comes to going after animal abusers.

THANK YOU for having the compassion to get involved! :) Even if it doesn't end in the very happiest outcome, know that what you did to care for this horse was a wonderful deed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry about that! This week has been insanely busy.
I called the police department two days in a row, who just patched me through to animal control. I contacted PETA (put my feelings about them aside!), and they actually did a great job hounding AC for me as well. The county animal control came out maybe Tuesday morning, and told me EVEN THOUGH all his water was frozen, and his hooves are terribly overgrown, they couldn't do anything. So I dug up the landlord's number and gave that to them.
The wind chill up here's been pretty bad, so I haven't seen him out. Today it was almost 30 F (spring is here! Ha.), and I saw him while I was setting out a round bale for my ponies. He looked pretty rough, no blanket, still skinny. So, for now, I'll keep an eye on him, and if it gets worse, I'll start another round of calls...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay, so, events have transpired and now Henry is in with my two horses. Problem is, my other gelding now loves to chase him around at a full gallop :shock: I'm a fan of leave them be to work it out, but should I section off a part of the pasture, or I could have him in a stall, out of the cold. Galvayne's groove puts him at about 25 years old (a VERY active 25 year old).
Here's a few snaps of his condition:

He's got a HUGE winter coat, so he looks quite a bit better than what he is. He doesn't have a lick of fat on him :? Ribs and hipbones are distinctive. Hooves have been trimmed though, hooray!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow. If he finished what was given to him in one go, she is not "going out there 3 times a day" as she claims. Good for you for feeding him, she is in the wrong to accuse you of getting nosy, you are being extremely kind to feed and water him. I'm sorry, it just aggravates me when people do these kinds of things. Good luck, everything turns out well :)!

·
Registered
695 Posts
He doesn't look too bad. Good for you for taking him in. Keep us posted on his progress!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Actually, he looks really good. I wouldn't put him on a 3 out of 10. He's probably a 6-7.

Hip bones aren't sticking out, tail head isn't pronounced, still has shoulder muscle and a nice hindend.

He obviously was being neglected, and would have gotten into a bad condition eventually, but right now, he looks good. Especially for 25ish.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
I would say he is closer to a 3.5 - 4 body condition. I suspect that the only way he is going to gain weight is to be fed separately from the other horses. He is an old boy. He probably needs his teeth done too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good for you for taking a stand for him! I'm sure he appreciates the food, love, and attention. Glad to hear he is in your care now.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well! My neighbors "moved back in", so now they have ownership of him again. And brought another horse with them. She's sent her kids over with big water jugs a few times to bring some water in for them :? Not sure why you would bring another horse when you don't have running water. Good news though, the snow has started melting! So, they've got about three or four acres to graze on. Still not thrilled with the situation, but at least they're getting some water to him, and he's got a little grass to chomp on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I wish I would've given him a good grooming when he was with me! Poor guy had lots of dandruff and a tail full of burrs.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
It is apparent his back has dropped. When this happens the ribs protrude further to the sides. Altho and older horse can be in fairly good flesh it will appear ribby.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts