The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I moved my 4yr old back home after being at the trainers for 2 months. Saturday evening she did not eat her feed (I kind of blew it off at that point I figured she was settling back in) well she still does not want to eat her feed. Exact same feed she has been on at the trainers. I am already treating her for ulcers, She never had this problem before. I gave her a small amount of a different grain last night to see if she would eat that and she did. Any idea's what would make her just decide she does not like the feed she has been on for months?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My mare did this when i brought her home from the trainers, just mixed a little of the stuff she would eat in and then weaned it back out and she’s back to eating her normal stuff.

·
Super Moderator
14,519 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum!!

Did you use the same feed bucket/tub or pan or a different one?

Is the feeding location anywhere near a electrical outlet she may feel current from? {horses are 10x more sensitive to current than humans}
Did you just buy the feed presented and not eaten or is it old?

Are you sure the feed is not going rancid or spoiling?

Ulcers could be part of a problem..but the eating of other feed makes me suspect it is something different...
Clean, wash and rinse well all the buckets...
Throw out any feed left in her bucket she not eat and start with a fresh amount...
Make sure there is nothing "scented" near where her feed is that could have her walking away...
That is where I would start looking for answers to how come...
🐴...

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
IF she is eating the 'new ' feed, then I would suspect something is wrong with the 'old' feed. If she has ulcers why are you feeding her grain ? Switch that to some alfalfa pellets or alfalfa grass pellets. Alfalfa is a good feed for a horse with ulcers. You can google is alfalfa good for horse with ulcers, and read the scientific findings, not just peoples opinions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts