The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something horsey to read at the moment-- but not wanting another girl-meets-horse and forms an amazing bond with it instantly type book. c': (Not meaning to offend anyone, I've just read so many aaa)
I've never managed to find a horsey story with a male main, so I'd be super interested if anybody has any suggestions, thanks!
(Also, the book doesn't have to be published and can be online as long as it's written nicely!)

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Me too! I am so tired of the girl rescues horse, forms amazing bond, horse saves girl... or girl is messed up, finds horses and lives happily ever after, probably meeting a complete hunk in the process somewhere...

·
Registered
125 Posts
My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead and Green Grass of Wyoming by Mary O'Hara. They are wonderfully written, very 'real' and have a male protagonist.

Other than those, nothing springs to mind instantly.

If you want a true story - read One Hundred and Four Horses. Can't remember the author.

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
"Frog: The Horse who knew no master"

Frog the Horse That Knew No Master: Captain S.P. Meek: Amazon.com: Books

Its about an Army officer and his horse in Panama. Hard to find, although Amazon has a few used copies. The guy who wrote it based "Frog" on a horse he had known.

Rutherford G Montgomery wrote the 'Golden Stallion' series in the 60s. If you come across the unabridged version, it is about a teen on a ranch who captures a stallion...but I don't remember as being the 'mystical bond' type of story. Haven't read it in years, but IIRC it portrayed ranch life and hard work.

For the most part, you'll need to look for books written prior to 1970. Since then, riding horses has become a female sport.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
I also read Smoky the Cow horse several times as a kid
There is also the book War Horse and you can read the true story of Reckless, Pride of the Marines-a horse that served in the Koren War, lived with the marines and was made a Sergeant , plus won a purple heart, I believe
Don't know if only a movie exists on these two true horse stories, but there is Champions, the story of the comeback of both a steeple chase horse and his rider, who fought a battle with cancer, fighting through treatment, to regain the strength to ride The Grand National, which he won
Snowman is also a true story, of a horse bought off a kill wagon, and turned into a winning show jumper by a rider known as 'The Flying Dutchman, who was still riding about two years ago, now in his eighties
Course, Pharlap
As a kid I read all the black Stallion books, but they are basically a boy version of the girl meet wild horse theme
As akid, I bought books out of the Famous horse story series, of which Frog the horse that knew no Master, was just one book
There was also 'beyond Rope and fence
Kentucky Derby Winner-the story of Aristrides, America 'first great race horse
Tick Tock and Jim, is the story of a boy that traded a watch for a horse, from a travelling salesman, when his parents were not at home
Then, there Zane Grey's story of Wildfire, worth a read

If you want another non fiction read, there is Tchiffley's ride-the story of a man who back in the 30's I believe, rode tow Criollo horses, Mancha and Gato, from Argentina to New York

Here is some info. Unlike Hidelgo, where that long ride not not actually happen, this ride is recognized as one of the great long distance rides in history
Here is some info
Aimé Félix Tschiffely - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you need any other recommendation in horse books, I have selves dedicated to a collection of both factual horses stories, works of fiction, plus numerous training books

Happy reading!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Have that one to !
I thought that was "Drinkers of the Wind", but prob'ly wrong, since trying to recall from childhood. I remember it was about the Godolphin Arabian, so maybe it was a precursor to "King".

There's also "Airs Above The Ground", about a Lippizanner (also an old book). I have that one.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Seabuiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand is great, my non-horse person, non-reader brother loved that book.
The Red Pony by John Steinbeck is good but in typical Steinbeck fashion is a bit depressing.
Red Horse Hill and General Jim are both older stories (circa 1930) about young boys/men and standardbred race horses. They are quick easy reads.
Crazy Good is a biography of Dan Patch which follows the horse more than the owners. Its really interesting because this horse was more popular and faster than any other horse or other celebrity during his lifetime and yet he could have easily been euthanized as a young horse for his "wonky" leg.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I can't remember the author, nor can I remember if the human character was a girl or a boy, but I seem to remember after devouring all of the Black Stallion books, a series about a Red Stallion. This was back in the 60s...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Do you want fiction only?

These are non-fiction.

I'd recommend Dr. Ben K. Green as an author. Horse Tradin' West of the Pecos, The Village Horse Doctor, More Horse Trading and others are all great.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.