The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread. So I put it here.

Looking at some video's of me riding my gelding tonight. I noticed how off he looks in his hind. My friend said that he is most likely stiff from being in his stall some days.

Here are 2 video's..

Excuse my sloppiness, I haven't ridden for 2 weeks because of my accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9dtuQZcF8&list=UUD45HXVSt5VxKh-DopltiTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdLZAxFu8Y&list=UUD45HXVSt5VxKh-DopltiTw

We mostly only walked..... until he spooked

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Does he always shake his head like that? Looks like you have a deathgrip on that hackamore. Is he being hot? Let him go.

He doesn't look quite right. Idk if it's stiffness or not, the headshaking could be from that. How much time/how long has he been shut up?

He looks more sore than stiff imo.

·
Registered
48,566 Posts
he does not look off to me. he looks a little stiff , maybe, but I am wondering more about the saddle. you have a pretty short stirrup and are sitting more on the cantle than would be optimal. or , perhaps , the saddle is a bit small for you. i dunno. it just looks to me a bit like he is dropping his back to get away from a concentrated downward pressure in the cantle area.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does he always shake his head like that? Looks like you have a deathgrip on that hackamore. Is he being hot? Let him go.

He doesn't look quite right. Idk if it's stiffness or not, the headshaking could be from that. How much time/how long has he been shut up?

He looks more sore than stiff imo.

He was being a tad hot when I first got on him. He was spooky. I haven't ridden him a lot because the weather here has been in the negatives! And we are in a valley with decent winds so it doesn't help. He gets MSM too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he does not look off to me. he looks a little stiff , maybe, but I am wondering more about the saddle. you have a pretty short stirrup and are sitting more on the cantle than would be optimal. or , perhaps , the saddle is a bit small for you. i dunno. it just looks to me a bit like he is dropping his back to get away from a concentrated downward pressure in the cantle area.

I've had the saddle checked, doesn't pinch him anywhere and it fits him. I haven't ridden in 2 weeks due to my accident and I felt odd so that's probably why. Also I was wearing 2 Layers of pants cause it was flipping freezing! The saddle does fit me. Just probably not with double thick jeans.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Is there a quieter horse you can ride a couple times to get back in the swing of things?

Had to lol at the saddle fit response- I hear that!

Can you lunge him first if you're worried? Maybe I'm not being practical since your guy reminds me so much of my horse but holding back these horses tends to make things worse, let them move, or if need be make them move. Lots of circles, leg yields etc. I think what's going on up front is effecting him in back.

How old is he?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Horse looks fine. Frees up and reaches under himself when he goes into the walk from the trot (first video). Moves... well.. like an Arab....

Reactions: Yogiwick

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a quieter horse you can ride a couple times to get back in the swing of things?

Had to lol at the saddle fit response- I hear that!

Can you lunge him first if you're worried? Maybe I'm not being practical since your guy reminds me so much of my horse but holding back these horses tends to make things worse, let them move, or if need be make them move. Lots of circles, leg yields etc. I think what's going on up front is effecting him in back.

How old is he?
He is the quitest horse at the barn to be honest he's normally extremely calm and mellow when he's ridden frequently. We are a private barn. My friend lol'd at the saddle fit thing too... Gotta do what you gotta do when its cold!

I'm going back down today to lunge him to get him moving more. Possibly free lunge him too if the arena doors aren't fricken frozen shut!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
My horse will get worse if you hang on him and he's hot. I also trust him not to do anything.

If he's typically quiet can your friend warm him up or you lunge him first?

I think if/when he gets moving this will go away.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My horse will get worse if you hang on him and he's hot. I also trust him not to do anything.

If he's typically quiet can your friend warm him up or you lunge him first?

I think if/when he gets moving this will go away.

My friend doesn't board at this barn. I do trust him, but when he isn't ridden frequently he bucks. So I'm not at all going to just let him go because the last thing I need is another concussion. It hasn't even been a year yet since my last concussion.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Be careful!

I think lunging will be good then. Get the spunk out and loosen him up too without you needing to worry about yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts