The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone)

I'd share with you sone of my horse paintings) i prefer water color and pencil.

Andalusian stallion portrait, 2009

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
They are very beautiful :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ok that's it!!! After the holidays I am going to whip out that water color paint set a bought a couple months ago and try them out. Just as Kayty inspired me to try out soft pastels, you inspire me to try out water colors. Any words of advice before I tackle the water colors. I do know that you want to start very light and go dark from there because apparently once you go dark, you can't go lighter (as I have been told). Got any other tricks of the trade to share with me?

Oh yeah, brilliant work. You make it look so easy, but I am sure it isn't at all. Very expressive paintings!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Liz Norris, thanx)

It's a good decision!)

I'd give you a couple advices:

1) One of rules i use - more water, less colors. At first, because you can make more mistakes and then fix them, and also this rule allows you to chose color you need more correctly. Dark and intensive colors i use only for making details, such as nostrils, eyes, mane, some shadows. But don't forget to dry watercolor layers, before painting another (in case you doesn't want to mix colors of course))

2) yes, you're exactly right. At first i put light colors, then with each step put more and more intensive. But try to do this very carefully. This allows me to make an object with more volume.

3) Try to use more colors. it makes artwork with more volume and looks better) Don't avoid using cold colors (blue and green tones) when you're painting a chestnut and bay horses. And on the contrary use a warm colors when you're painting a black or grey horse for example.

These are the main things i always try to follow :) I'll be glad to see your watercolor paintings. :D

P.S. Sorry for mistakes, it's not my first language)) I hope you will understand what i meant. :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow!! Your paintings are absolutely stunning!!!! How much do you charge per painting?
Thank you!)

Yes, i draw horses. I use photo of horse for making picture. A portrait costs 60 dollars, the painting of full horse, (for example free horse in action) costs 100 dollars (because it takes more time). I use A5 size of watercolor paper.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts