The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down in the Panhandle at St. George Island for a couple weeks and have been on Craigslist a few times. To those of you who live in northern Florida are horse prices really low here? Most of the animals I'm seeing in the listing range from free to $800 dollars. This is way below what we pay for comparable animals in Kansas, especially for green broke younger animals. Can you shed some light on this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I looked on Craigslist around Florida and I saw a wide range of prices depending on what you get. Where I am you can get an unbroken horse (usual 2 year old grade) for $500 or less on Facebook. There is even a rather active free horse page, but it's mostly companion only due to lameness or project horse. Green broke grade is $800-$1200. I hear the sale barns are even cheaper. All other horses seem to go well on up from there though, highest I've seen has probably been $25,000.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I am used to seeing is the $800-1200 for young grade horses green broke. Last years Hurricane must have put a lot of people in this area in a financial binds and cannot afford to take care of them. The $25,000 you are talking about is somebody throwing it against the wall to see if it will stick. Someone willing to sell/buy a horse for that kind of money doesn't sell on Craigslist.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh the $25,000 wasn't on Craigslist. It was on their website that they linked to Facebook. But yeah... Lots of surprised Facebook people when they viewed the price. 🤷*♀ I uh definitely think some of them may have been seeing what sticks though. Seen the same post for some of the same horses pop up on Facebook every 2 weeks. 😂

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
That is what I am used to seeing is the $800-1200 for young grade horses green broke. Last years Hurricane must have put a lot of people in this area in a financial binds and cannot afford to take care of them. The $25,000 you are talking about is somebody throwing it against the wall to see if it will stick. Someone willing to sell/buy a horse for that kind of money doesn't sell on Craigslist.
Last years hurricane didn't even affect Florida except for a little of the coast in S. Florida. It might just be in the immediate area that you are looking in. I just checked Craigslist for Tallahassee and really didn't see much.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
My area of Florida is flooded with horses...more than imagined are here.
Near every yard has a horse lurking in it...some several.
When so plentiful the market is flooded for "just a horse..."
Put a discipline on the animal specific and pricing goes up...
Good trail horses start around $1500 and go rapidly into many thousands.
Would imagine other "show" horses, those who are more than the backyard trained by the kids would follow suit and be more expensive.
Many are rehabbed rescues, not all.
Some are problems needing to be dumped, some are old, infirmed or just not wanted...but not all.

I'm in the center of the state...
Not sure what you are searching for but quality horses, those with nice breeding, a track record in shows, superb riding trail horses...well, often you get what you pay for.
Someone in the area breeds and sells Quarter Horse and Apps.
As yearlings they start at $2500 with just basic training...
His finished horses are worth $$$$ cause it was done and done right in their upbringing.
I myself have sold a few horses on Craigslist...
It is certainly not where I would of listed my $10,000 show horse, but my rehabbed rescue needing a new family to love him, sure. Sold him for $600 and he was a cutting horse in training I found out by his current owner...excellent cowy sense but I did not need that nor know of it...
Still would of sold him as I did, for to me much more important he got a loving, caring home.

We also have those $100,000+ horses here mingled in...
Some of the best in the country barrel racers, jumpers, reiners, dressage and other discipline all over the state worth mega-bucks...
But more common is a family pet of possibly unknown breeding just needing a soft landing in caring hands...
To me, that is far more common the animal found on Craigslist.
Nothing "wrong" with them but a truly flooded market and people who don't need to spend bigger bucks to find a new family pet.
And of course there is always a "diamond-in-the-rough" gem hidden when in the right hands....:eek_color:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
People retire to Florida. Land is not expensive here. Elderly people who can no longer ride or widows and widowers unload good horses for cheap, especially if they think a kind person will buy them. My neighbors and I have gotten some lovely sound sane safe horses for $300 to $600.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
You also have to consider that parts of Florida are havens for those moving out of the cold to train for competition and trainers that have large barns to bring on and compete horses. So many of those high dollars horses may or may not be something someone just attached a price to. If they are the current breed du jour and have started competing on rated circuits then they get those prices. That goes English or Western. Some of those ads are spread around to all sorts of sites.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My area of Florida is flooded with horses...more than imagined are here.
Near every yard has a horse lurking in it...some several.
When so plentiful the market is flooded for "just a horse..."
Put a discipline on the animal specific and pricing goes up...
Good trail horses start around $1500 and go rapidly into many thousands.
Would imagine other "show" horses, those who are more than the backyard trained by the kids would follow suit and be more expensive.
Many are rehabbed rescues, not all.
Some are problems needing to be dumped, some are old, infirmed or just not wanted...but not all.

I'm in the center of the state...
Not sure what you are searching for but quality horses, those with nice breeding, a track record in shows, superb riding trail horses...well, often you get what you pay for.
Someone in the area breeds and sells Quarter Horse and Apps.
As yearlings they start at $2500 with just basic training...
His finished horses are worth $$$$ cause it was done and done right in their upbringing.
I myself have sold a few horses on Craigslist...
It is certainly not where I would of listed my $10,000 show horse, but my rehabbed rescue needing a new family to love him, sure. Sold him for $600 and he was a cutting horse in training I found out by his current owner...excellent cowy sense but I did not need that nor know of it...
Still would of sold him as I did, for to me much more important he got a loving, caring home.

We also have those $100,000+ horses here mingled in...
Some of the best in the country barrel racers, jumpers, reiners, dressage and other discipline all over the state worth mega-bucks...
But more common is a family pet of possibly unknown breeding just needing a soft landing in caring hands...
To me, that is far more common the animal found on Craigslist.
Nothing "wrong" with them but a truly flooded market and people who don't need to spend bigger bucks to find a new family pet.
And of course there is always a "diamond-in-the-rough" gem hidden when in the right hands....:eek_color:
:runninghorse2:...
I'm not looking to buy anything this far from home. Just get on the internet at night and look in what area we happen to be in. Each winter we hook onto the 5th wheel and come down south for about a month to leave the cold. We started in Destin then came down the forgotten coast line. Went thru Mexico Beach and Tilman AF which are still reeling from Hurricane Micheal. I was looking at the listings in Panama City area when I noticed these prices so, it was in the hurricane area. We have gone down I-75 many times thru the center of the state and seen many big, beautiful horse farms there and know that a lot of money can exist there for higher end horses. I have had several registered horses and grade as well and papers are not as important to me as function so, I like to find that "diamond in the rough". Can't wait till I get back home in a week and a half and start riding again.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The horse market is saturated in this area. Lots of big barns breeding and no market for the unwanted horses that don't make it. If one farm is breeding 80 horses a year, and those horses need homes for the next 25 years, you can see why the market is flooded.

I'm trying to find a home for my Paso Fino, if you know anyone in N. FL interested. He was a rescue and isn't worth much from a financial standpoint. He's started on trails and I've spent a lot of time on him.

A simple trail horse isn't worth much. You can buy a good one for $500-$1000. I paid $600 for my fox trotter. She's bomb proof, beginner safe, and does everything perfectly.

·
Registered
971 Posts
For quarter horses it seems the further west you go in the US the more expensive they get not counting Oregon and Washington. They have their own weird horse market and prices that are all over the map for no real good reason there. For a good ranch gelding in Montana you are probably looking at $4,500 - $9,000 depending on age and what all it can do well and what its papers look like. Mares are cheaper usually topping out at $4,500 because nobody wants a mare wreaking havoc at a branding etc. when she goes into heat and makes all the geldings stupid on top of whatever antics she brings to the party. The funny thing is Canada has a glut of good horses just north of us and if you want to deal with the import nonsense and getting a passport etc. you can get a good ranch horse for 1/3 - 1/2 of what you would pay down here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.