The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, for levity is a video of poor Pat being bucked off. Then on the second video a question: Why is the horse gaping at the mouth in the first few minutes of the video.

Registered
I only watched the first 5 minutes, watched her check his hips and then a few minutes of her riding him after the adjustment

First off, I'm wouldn't define that as gaping. He's being mouthy and chomping. Some horses do it as a nervous/anxious reaction, sometimes because of pain. Thinking about the situation there, he's never been in that big arena before with the crowd and loud speakers. That alone would be enough for any horse to be a little unsure.

I think for this horse the chomping is a habit from being sore and nervous about doing the right thing.
He still did it after the adjustment, but did it a little less. Now that could have been because he was more comfortable in the new environment, but I think the adjustment would have also been a factor.

I would be willing to bet that with continued body work and nice riding like what the presenter was talking about when she rode him after the adjustment, the chomping would slowly go away.

Or maybe he's just got that quirk for life. Horses are fun like that.

One of my mares will chomp a little bit when she's in a high energy/high stress situation.... while being rode in a bosal. When I have her bridled with her spade bit, she doesn't chomp but she can get the roller in it whizzing 馃槀

ETA: I watched the video of Pat getting dumped.
Being able to disengage the hindquarter is a great tool, but not at the cost of getting a horse stuck and causing him to blow up. I think that's what happened there, the horse got stuck and bucking was his answer. Disengaging the hind quarter is supposed to make a horse unable to buck, obviously didn't work so great in this situation. Not to mention that Pat rode that blow up like a sack of taters. A good hand could have rode those first few hops, diffused the situation, and carried on with his day.

Even saddling colts for the first few times, I find that slowly tightening the cinch while stepping them in a small circle helps them realize that they can move and their feet aren't stuck, which equates to less bucking, if any.

First rides, I want to be ponied off of another solid horse after the colt has been ponied extensively in the roundpen and outside.

Registered
It feels bad to continue to view that old video. It's been the subject of online laughter too much Especially with Pat having lost his parents so tragically

Super Moderator
I am not crazy about the road to the horse because I feel like slow and steady is the way to go but with that competion - they don't have time for slow and steady. I didn't watch much of the second video but I call that mouthy. Cloud did that the first year I rode him and I rode with little to know rein contact. We were not even working on frame or headset. He had his mouth open and closing like that all the time. I hated seeing him in videos and pictures. He doesn't do it anymore. I thin that's a little "baby". BUT - I will say I don't think that horse was real happy...

When babies are trying to show submission they bite bite bite like that or chomp chomp chomp. I think it's kind of a nerve thing....

Reactions: Beling and tinyliny

Registered
I'm impressed with the first horse having the talent to buck over the barrels--#futurejumper?

Second video--definitely a nervous, tense horse. Can't remember if he was raced, but wouldn't be surprised. I feel a lot of OTTBs suffer from PTSD due to a culmination of so many things--truly, the easy part is "fixing" their bodies, but their minds, well that takes much longer.

I think the woman's assessment was excellent, and how she showed how painful that horse truly was. Interesting to me to how he didn't want to carry his weight on the hind and seeing his reaction when she was palpating his hips, hamstrings etc.

I've never watched any Road to the Horse programs--thanks for the share!

Reactions: loosie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never watched any Road to the Horse programs--thanks for the share!
I actually noticed RTTH on another thread and decided to see what it was all about. I'll be watching more as YouTube is my only TV.

Reactions: Palfrey

Registered
I actually noticed RTTH on another thread and decided to see what it was all about. I'll be watching more as YouTube is my only TV.
Same here for me, much better than cable or satellite!

Reactions: trailscout
1 - 7 of 7 Posts