The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new horse! has a problem lol.. she is an 11 year old registered quarter horse mare "straps easy money" who needs a barn name by the way!!! anyways back to the subject lol. I went and looked at her and she sat in a field for 3 years, they tied her up and saddled her yada yada, she done perfect, they did warn me that she got nervous tying up and pulled back a little bit but settled right out and stood afterwards, she never broke anything. while I was there she stood perfect he put the saddle on and lunged her a little bit just to see if she wanted to buck since shes been in the field for soo long, never had a problem with her, rode her and she rode perfect, I know the man and daughter well that I bought her from, she is trained on barrels and trails rides..... SO we bring her home let her settle in and go to work her and I can NOT tie her anywhere! the first time I tied her she reared up because her buddy wasn't with her! you would have thought she was a saddle bronc, my question is. after this long story (im sorry!) what have you guys used that seemed to work on your horses? and what could I try to help her? it seems like most of the problem is from her being soo buddy sour! thanks in advance!

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
there are things you can use, like tie blockers, that help a hrose with issues being tied, but to be honest, you should probably get a trainer to come work with you and the hrose to get her freshened up after 3 years off, and help you deal with what comes up.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
There are several things you can do and one is to tie her to something way above her head height so she cannot get the right angle to break free. You need a halter and rope that will not break.
The other thing you can do is to get a long rope and thread it through the tie ring, do not tie it but hold the end so it is as of she were tied. The moment she starts to pull back get to the side of her back end and use the end of the rope to whack her on her backside and send her forward.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Definitely be cautious with the equipment that you use for a this. A horse that learns it can break its halter or what it is tied to (and continues to do so), can become a really dangerous issue.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I agree with Foxhunter. I have a "thinking tree" in my yard that I tie problem children to. I wrap an inner tube around a large, sturdy branch and tie to that. They learn that it's easier to just stand and relax.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have known a few horses to do this and with each one we have simply put them in halters that won't break, found a very strong lead rope/rope and tied them straight to a sturdy wooden post - no twine. They have all stopped this behavior
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.