The Horse Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So after a very successful weekend (a Champ and a Reserve in an open 2'9" and modified adults, and good ribbons in a professional division) I definitely thought I wanted to buy Carlyle. Until we spoke to his owner who is being absolutely unreasonable. He claims he will not accept less than 20k. If that really is the case I won't be buying him :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm hoping that he will continue to keep him at my barn and I can continue to show him until he changes his mind. Nobody has even come to see him they just hear "one eye" and decide not to make the trip. I have been paying shoes and some vet and his owner has been paying board. I definitely don't mind this situation its just the fact that he can show up with his trailer at any time and take him away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
Have you asked the owner if he'd be willing to lease for another year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I know that he would be willing to do that but I can't put any more money into a horse without owning it. I almost wished I hadn't leased in the first place because I basically spent my entire life savings and now have nothing to show for it since my lease is up.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Perhaps you should suggest that if he really wants to get that amount of $$, he needs to pay YOU to continue showing (and winning). Otherwise-you are done, and without you and your good rides-value will plummet rather quickly. Plus, unless he takes the horse to FLorida-the season is at least half over. Most folks looking for that caliber horse found them in the spring so they could show them all season. JMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
I heavily doubt the owner getting 20k for him, at least, not in my area. A horse for 20k better be winning every single class he's entered in, AND still have more potential.
I understand not wanting to continue the lease, but I do agree with what franknbeans said about you telling him he needs to start paying you to show/ride/train him. Also, see if your trainer can talk to him about it. Is there any way you could put the money you spent leasing him towards the purchase price? I wouldn't try to talk him down off the price tag yet, it will just make the owner angry. Just give him a month or so to realise that he won't get that much, and see what happens.
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Perhaps you should suggest that if he really wants to get that amount of $$, he needs to pay YOU to continue showing (and winning). Otherwise-you are done, and without you and your good rides-value will plummet rather quickly. Plus, unless he takes the horse to FLorida-the season is at least half over. Most folks looking for that caliber horse found them in the spring so they could show them all season. JMHO.

Actually if she gets any kind of payment for showing the horse she loses her amateur status.
Agreed though, if the owner has any sort of brain cells he should know that having an ammy continue to show the horse and win only increases his value.

BIG FAT BOO!! UGH. Did he hike up the price all of a sudden or just exaggerate how low his price would be and then just give you the number? Wondering if your great ribbons at the show made the owner think he could ask that much. That really stinks. I'm sorry to hear that! Just curious, is he a 3" horse or a 3"6 horse?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
franknbeans I am hoping that he recognizes that taking him away from me would not be beneficial to him trying to sell him, since when I take him to shows I am exposing him to the market and showing off what he can do with his one eye. So hopefully he at least won't take him away unless he is sold.

Jumper He would allow me to put my lease money into the sale price but even so that is so much more than I anticipated. A big thing about buying him was how nice it would be to not have to borrow money from my parents but this way I would still have to do that :/ I am willing to wait it out I am just nervous he won't give it a chance before shopping him around to sale barns.

upnover I think he just kind of kept hinting that if I wanted him I could have him but then when it came down to it he kind of backed off of that. He is definitely a 3' horse absolutely. As for 3'6", I haven't really thought that far ahead but he has a massive stride for only being like 16.2 and he jumps great. I think he might have done the 3'3" PreGreens with his owner before he came to me.

Blah I guess the only thing to do is just hope he doesn't pull the rug out from under me. Even if someone bought him for 20k that would be fine with me as long as he had a good place to go, I am just scared that he will ship him off to other places to try to sell him. Blahhh. It was such a bummer because I was so excited after the show and now I am stressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
I really hope everything goes well with you and him! It would be a shame to see this talented horse potentially be sold to a home where he wouldn't be used to his full potential, like he would with you. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
I personally think you are in one of those "tough love" sort of situations. This will not be easy, but you need to stop training and showing the horse…….you are basically working for free-against you own best interest. Let him see what the horse is worth without you.

I have learned some of these hard lessons throughout life from a DH who is a hard nose…..but wins in the end. I remember vividly a house we bought that I dearly loved. We got to the settlement table……literally there to sign the papers. They had one of the numbers wrong….it was not what we had agreed on…about $1K off. He walked. Literally walked out of the room and left. Told them….well…not pg. I was in tears. We ended up with the house….with the numbers RIGHT. Same theory. You may have to walk away to get where you want to go, difficult as that may be. But you can look at it as getting more experience riding other horses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So he's going back now. Apparently his owner wasn't paying his board, my trainer was floating him, which I wasn't aware of. And I didn't want to buy him until the fall when I started my job :( So now he is going back. I'm very very upset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Going back where? I would think your BO could get a lien on the horse for the back board….then possibly take possession. If the BO sends him away, they lose the only collateral of any type they have. The horse!

This MAY be the key to you getting him. Hold tight and keep track of where he is, how he is, etc….IF he must go. Don't lose hope yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
So he's going back now. Apparently his owner wasn't paying his board, my trainer was floating him, which I wasn't aware of. And I didn't want to buy him until the fall when I started my job :( So now he is going back. I'm very very upset.
You poor thing. Sorry this didn't work out for you (or the horse). Just remember, when one door shuts another door opens. Maybe this just wasn't the right time or the right horse.

And, as franknbeans said. Keep track of him. Maybe things will work out after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression, its nothing ugly like unpaid board. Apparently my trainer was keeping him on basically as a lesson horse in exchange for free board so it wasn't that the owner wasn't paying it was that he didn't need to. She was basically allowing him to stay for free to help me out while I saved up to buy him, which was so incredible of her especially since I didn't even know that was what she was doing.

His owner has his own facility about 30 minutes from where I was keeping him. But my trainer needs the stall so she is telling him basically that he cannot stay here for free anymore. I am hoping for a few scenarios. Maybe his owner will offer to pay his board for him to stay, maybe he will allow me to keep riding him at his facility (which is actually closer to my house) or maybe he will realize exactly how few people are interested besides me and allow me to get a cheaper price. I guess like you guys said I just need to keep an eye on him for the next few months and keep track of him. He is aware that I am interested so hopefully he won't do anything like send him to a sale barn far away or anything, but I guess even if he does he will still own him and I will still be able to contact him if need be.

I guess the only thing now is to wait and see :\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,001 Posts
If you are able make a firm offer. Do a "lease to buy" half lease type deal (have him pay a little, you pay the rest, or he keeps the horse at his place and does not charge board, you pay everything else, etc.), set a firm date whenever works for you this fall where you will buy him outright for x amount.

Tell him you are very interested, you love this horse, but you are firm on this and he needs to take it or leave it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
I'm sorry. I think you have to be willing to step back and let him realize that first, he owns a one-eyed horse that very few other people will be willing to take a chance on - especially a $20K chance. Yes, keep track of him, but you might want to not be so obvious about how much you want him. Go to his barn. Take a look at the other prospects he has (and what they're priced at).

Make him realize the horse didn't win those ribbons - you did. Because you had confidence that he could excel. It isn't just the horse; it's always the team.

When he realizes he won't get the money he wants, nor the rider that horse needs, he may come back to you with a, "hey...you still want that horse?" attitude.

It might hurt to see another rider on him, but sometimes you have to know when you're being played for a sucker.
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Top