The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not looking to buy another horse, but sale ads always seem to somehow "pop" up so to speak. I saw a few that caught my eye but the pics in the ad itself instantly made me not want to look further into the horses for sale. So it got me thinking, what are some horse sale ad pet peeves of yours?

For the ones I saw this week, the one was a gelding letting it all "hang out".....while I have two geldings myself so I know that they like to relax, I tend to make sure not to take pics when they're fully relaxed. LOL The second ad I saw had pics of just horrendous angles, the horse was actually decent as Ive seen it in person but the seller did no justice to trying to sell the horse. So what are yours?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I hate ads with bad angles like you said........all you see is a head or a butt or the horse is wayyyyy at the other end of a pen. Like they couldn't bother to walk in there and get a picture of the horse they are selling? Or they think a couple pictures of the horse sticking it's head over the fence for a treat (and no body shots) will sell their horse!?

My other pet peeve..........Ads that tell you nothing about the horse. They will say something like "Horse, saddle broke, $1000." No age, breed, gender, how well broke the horse is, nothing!!!

I am only casually looking as well. And shouldn't be looking at all. But how am I supposed to know if I even WANT to call about a horse if they can't tell me if it's 5 years old or 20? If it's 13.3 or 15.3? If it's beginner safe or green broke? Come on, give me SOME information in the ad.

Another pet peeve is ads that are selling phillys or phillies and guildings or gildings.

I saw a horse on Craigslist recently that looked to me like a varnish roan Appaloosa. The ad called it a dapple grey QH (grade). I ran into the lady that bought it and she tells me it's a Paint because someone told her it's a Paint. She INSISTS it's a Paint. I keep telling her to look up varnish roan Appaloosas but she doesn't believe me. I guess I could be wrong, but I would bet money on the breed/color. Oh well, it's not worth mentioning it to her again. But wouldn't you be curious about the color of your new horse enough to at least look it up?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
People standing on their horses back. I think 9/10 ads have that in my area and I think it's silly. Not really showing me anything about the horse...

Agree with the lack of details, I understand on FB due to restrictions but on Craigslist or horse sale websites there's no reason to not provide more detail.

Broke horses with no riding pictures.... Makes me nervous.

My favorite last year was a mini Arab Philly I saw on Craigslist. Horse was a mini but it apparently it had a defined head so they decided that made it an Arab?!?!

Horses that are anything .5 hands (ie 14.5 hands)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree with above. I've seen many terrible ads on Craigslist here. We (sadly) have very undereducated people. Last time, I saw an ad that goes like this:
$10000 Mare
8 year old unpapered Quarter Horse mare
Nice. I pony racehorses all the time. Can climb up very high hills, go through rivers, run up hills, and other stuff like that, but nothing dangerous. She might be pregnant, but we are not sure.

Might not sound dumb to many people, but the photos show a picture of a very pregnant (and possible underweight mare), also was in the "lameness' stance. Above all, a video is shown of the mare ponying racehorses in illegal racetracks.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
People standing on their horses back. I think 9/10 ads have that in my area and I think it's silly. Not really showing me anything about the horse...
^ You beat me to this!

Only pictures fully tacked up in a pad and saddle that swallow the whole horse from neck to tail.

Or, pictures taken at night, without flash preferably. Is that smudge here the horse???

Or, pictures taken with hooves that desperately needed a trim. I am not talking a little overdue. I am talking slipper toes or big chunks of wall broken off.

Or, all pictures taken in tall grass, hiding the horses legs halfway down... Maybe I am too suspicious in that area, but I have seen too many horses with their fetlocks on the ground at a standstill...

A video I stumbled over just today (yes, I admit I tend to look :oops:): A horse yanked in small circles (gaping mouth at each yank), almost tripping over it's legs and then running off like a maniac... Beginner-safe horse? Tossing it's head and swishing it's tail in a very un-happy manner... If this is the best you can show, I am afraid to know how a bad ride looks...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
You know what's strange, I don't think I have ever seen a local ad with someone standing on the horse. On the internet, yes. From other parts of the country. But our local folks don't tend to do that.

I had a friend stand up on her horse just so she could get a cool picture, but she wasn't selling the horse.

I'm not impressed with that either, because I never plan to use a horse for trick riding. I'm more interesting in how the horse actually rides and if it's sound, etc. How about how it stands for mounting? A picture with a horse standing still while someone mounts at a mounting block might be more impressive, ha ha!

·
Registered
796 Posts
There are an incredible amount of ads that have no photos whatsoever. How does anyone think they can sell a horse without even proving the breed, color, condition, and age seem somewhat accurate to the photo?

Better yet, an ad with a single photo from 100 feet away with the horse's butt facing the camera, a hind leg cocked, and their head hidden in tall grass. All that tells me is that the horse could be lame, unhandled, and have horrible front end conformation.

Also - "He walks funny/he has an old injury that acts up but he's okay for easy trail rides." No, that horse is lame and in pain, no one should be riding that.

I really hate seeing horses with very overgrown, flared, and cracking hooves. Just tells me the seller has put exactly zero effort into maintaining the horse.

And a new one I saw recently - "Neck reins with one finger!!" as they post a video showing a man tightly gripping the reins with one pointer finger, hauling on a huge curb bit (but it's obviously neck reining because one of the reins is against its neck), with the horse frantically spinning in "circles" going backwards forwards and sideways and shaking and flinging its head.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Agree with what's been said before, I'll just add some of mine:
"In your pocket personality"--totally overused, unoriginal and now just seems gimmicky!

Spelling mistakes. Great "gates" and nice "confirmation" on this "philly".

Picture of just the face.
When they say by the dam and out of the stallion.

Videos that do not show walk, trot, and canter both ways undersaddle (if applicable) and at liberty.

Excellent for breeding, but shows no pedigree.
People that advertise their horse for sale but make zero effort to answer your emails/calls or any communication!

Reactions: csimkunas6

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well since I am currently looking to buy a pony, this thread speaks to me! Most have been covered already but:

-Ads with a video but only of a canter/jumping.
-Ads with a 5 SECOND video.
-Missing the absolute basics: height, age, breed (or grade).

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
@csimkunas6 but isn't it great to know the horse can be nice and relaxed, LOL? My Pony is a very relaxed guy, and it seems like he's always got it hanging out. I'd have to startle him in order to get a picture without it like that.
@Keira Cloudhawk "She might be pregnant, but we are not sure." OMG. Yes, that's really the kind of person I want to buy a horse from...
@Palfrey but what about those of us who have a truly in-your-pocket pony? Particularly if that pocket has cookies in it...

I just happened across some sale ads a few days ago. It looked like they were a sales barn, but not one of them had a price. I mean, they can't seriously imagine that I'm so intrigued by their ad that I'd contact them about the price? It was their own website, so I don't think it was a FB issue. I mean, at least give me a range?

Reactions: csimkunas6

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I meant to add this:

Generally, I can't look at sales ads. I can NOT have any more horses, but there are always some that really just seem like they need a good home. I remember one here where the horse needed some sort of moderately expensive surgery, and they were giving the horse away to someone who would promise to then get the surgery done. I just want to take all of those horses and give them a good home. Once I start looking, I just get sadder and sadder.

Even if I WERE in the market for another horse, I am pretty sure that if I started looking on Craiglist or something, I'd just get the saddest horse I saw, just to give it a good home. I'd probably never have another good riding horse if I did that...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I meant to add this:

Generally, I can't look at sales ads. I can NOT have any more horses, but there are always some that really just seem like they need a good home. I remember one here where the horse needed some sort of moderately expensive surgery, and they were giving the horse away to someone who would promise to then get the surgery done. I just want to take all of those horses and give them a good home. Once I start looking, I just get sadder and sadder.

Even if I WERE in the market for another horse, I am pretty sure that if I started looking on Craiglist or something, I'd just get the saddest horse I saw, just to give it a good home. I'd probably never have another good riding horse if I did that...
Just gotta buy the young sad ones! I got a 3 year old filly two years ago who was all dirty and basically feral. Her feet were overgrown (because the owner was basically afraid of her and couldn't catch her/get her trimmed). She "rescued" her from a bad situation she said. She's almost 5 now and the sweetest, smartest, mellow mare I could ask for! She basically taught herself to become halter broke and ridden.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I don't even give a second glance at an ad by a young female, "Sweetest horse just loves to be loved on" That's enough to stop me but if you do read on you will see a few pictures of a pretty young lady in front of the camera with a beautiful smile and somewhere in the background there is a part of a horse but not enough to even see what it is like.
I also think if an ad says good saddle horse and several pictures (poor ones) of a horse standing at awkward angles and not even a picture of a rider on it. If advertised as a saddle horse I like to at least see a picture of a person on the horse. I have wasted time going to look at a 'good saddle horse" and when you get there the seller won't even get on the horse and if they won't, I don't feel like getting on it either.

I also don't like to see the "standing on horse" it doesn't tell me much about the horse. I could have done that on a few horses and they were definitely not good saddle horses.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts

Agree with the lack of details, I understand on FB due to restrictions but on Craigslist or horse sale websites there's no reason to not provide more detail.

My favorite last year was a mini Arab Philly I saw on Craigslist. Horse was a mini but it apparently it had a defined head so they decided that made it an Arab?!?!

Horses that are anything .5 hands (ie 14.5 hands)[/QUOTE]

It bugs me too when they do the .5 thing but at least you can be reasonably sure they mean .2 hands. Not very long ago I saw one that was 14.8 hands and that really confused me. LOL

Spelling is one of my big ones. Especially when it's bad enough you know it wasn't typos. You're on a computer or at least a phone that can pretty much act as a computer, how hard is it to look up spellings?

Also saw an ad where during the description they used he and she interchangeably. WHICH ONE IS IT???

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I get a big kick out of the folks wanting the moon for a song. Always makes me chuckle.

Spelling errors irritate me, particularly when the entire ad is chock full of them. Does no one proofread anymore?! Like @JCnGrace said, you've got spellcheck! No excuse whatsoever for that one.

One of my personal favorites is a for sale ad where the horse is a grandson or -daughter of So-And-So and they're asking 5 figures … for an unbroke 6 or 7 year old. Sorry dude, if he's that valuable why haven't you done … like ANY training before now? Similarly, I find a TON of stallion ads for a stud who has done literally nothing in his life except loll in the backyard, and they want a 4 figure stud fee. Your stallion is 9 years old and he's only halter broke? Why on earth would I breed to that??

I also get a chuckle out of the "selling through no fault of his own" and then you read a bit more and you find out he bucks occasionally or rears sometimes, but only in company, otherwise he's completely broke and beginner safe. Oh, and also, don't lope him outside of an arena unless you want to be in the next county IMMEDIATELY. But still, totally broke and beginner safe!

A teensy bit off topic, but when I was selling I always got quite a few ridiculous offers. Not just with Thunder either, like every time I've ever sold a horse. I asked ten for Thunder and I had TWO different people offer in the $3000 range and I didn't even bother responding because frankly that's insulting. "Negotiable" does not mean "giving him away for practically nothing". Ergh. Everybody wants something for nothing these days ...

-- Kai

·
Registered
5,325 Posts

Horses that are anything .5 hands (ie 14.5 hands)
Ha Ha, I can see it now. So you decide to sell a horse. You get him all nice and clean and shiny, take some decent confo shots, tell a pretty decent description, and maybe a nice video of the horse being trail ridden. Going through bushes, past big boulders, through water. Walk, trot, canter in the arena. And the potential buyer on the phone asks "Well, can you stand on him?"

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re nice pictures:
A friend of mine sold his mare and he put one single picture up. A current pic of his mare during MS mud season. A muddy horse, black mud way over the knees, standing in a muddy pasture eating from a bucket... Like the example of what not to do... Also extremely limited information in the text. Mare sold within 2-3 days :shock: And I know for a fact she was not cheap...
Guess the old saying that color sells is true, as she is a pretty palomino :wink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts