The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am trying to put together a "presentation" for my dad to show him the costs of owning a horse and such(part of my begging scheme:D) And i was going to show him a schedule i would follow every day for feedong,riding,cleaning ect. So if people could post their daily schedlues that would help! If you can, make it around schhool mornings(I wake up at 5:30 and leave for school at 6:55) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized i spelled schedule wrong, sorry! lol!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well this schedule is for 3 horses:

7:30 Wake up
8:15-9:00 Feed/hay/water, muck stalls, turnout
9:30 Leave for class
10:00-2:45 Class
(About) 3:30 Ride <and only when weather permits
5:30 Feed/hay/water, muck paddock

This is an example of one day (wednesdays). I also have night classes on mondays, and I finish at 1 on fridays... kind of have to tailor your schedule to fit what you have to do. My horses are extremely flexible!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
While I'm not in school, I do have a job. I think it should be about the same. I'll do a schedule of a day where I work at 6am.

4:45 AM- Alarm goes off. Hit snooze button.
5:15 AM- Alarm goes off again. I really get up this time.
5:30 AM- drive to work.
6:00 AM- 12 PM- Arrive at work. Six hours of working outside, or working inside with harsh chemicals. Lately its been really cold, but most of the time in Florida its really hot and I'm outside with 10-15 dogs.
12:30 PM- Arrive home. Eat lunch, watch whatever has recorded on our DVR.
1/1:30 PM-3:00 PM- Take a nap.
3:30/3:45 PM- Wake up, go out to the barn
4:00 PM- Arrive at barn. Usually there is a lesson going on. I collect the stuff I need, and either groom Ice or we work in the round pen.
5:45 PM- Arrive home. Eat dinner, etc.
6:30 PM- 11:00 PM- free time. Usually I'm on the internet
11:00/12:00 PM- go to bed. Might be later if I don't have work the next day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well my horse is out so my routine is a lil different

start work 6 am
finishwork 10 am
start uni 10:15 am
finish uni 2 pm
reach farm 2:30 pm

then I usually spend at least 3 hrs there go home and do what ever uni work I have etc

the 4 days Im not at work

Im up the farm before uni then after, sorry i know thats not a lot of help but I aim to spend at least 3 hrs with J everyday if not more.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
This is pretty much in the winter...schedule varies in the summer

7-7:30 a.m. Wake up
8-10 a.m. Work
10:00-10:30 eat, get dressed head outside
10:30-12p Let horses out of the stalls if a nice day, otherwise feed, water, and clean stalls. If horses are out, clean stalls. If doing a full cleaning, this could take upwards to an extra hr or two. Feed cattle.
12-4p.m. do various farm chores or errands.
4:30-6:30p bring horses in if the weather is bad. Feed, water and hay. Feed and water cattle
6:30-7:30 make/have dinner
7:30-9 relax, do laundry or whatever other chores still need doing.
9-12midnight go back to work.
12-12:30 try to relax and get ready for bed

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peoples schedules vary a lot more than i thought they would

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I don't stall so mine's a lot easier.

6:00 wake up, get ready, and go home
7:00 am feed horses, spread hay, and check water tank
7:20 am eat breakfast/go to work
5:15 pm feed horses, spread hay, check tank
5:35 pm eat dinner, chores, etc

Depending on the weather and light situation I will groom/ride. Really the only major "schedule" I have is that I try to feed around 7-8 am and about 5-6 pm. Sometimes a little earlier or later but not that often (less than 1x per month). On the weekends I usually spend an hour or so cleaning the barn and their tie stalls (they aren't tied in them, that's just where they eat). During the summer it's about the same schedule just way more riding.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Well, when I leased my neighbor's horse and did all the chores myself this is what my schedule was like.

5:00AM - wake up
5:15-6AM - feed horses, turn them out, pick stalls
7-2PM - school
3-5PM - get home, go ride/take care of the horses
5-6PM - bring horses in, feed horses, pick stalls again if necessary
6-11PM - homework
11-12AM - try to get ready for bed

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
3:50AM get up - clean stalls and feed/water two horses, feed three barn cats, walk dogs, and get ready for work.
5:00PM get home repeat all above except the getting up part.
9:00PM night check, pick stall and give over night hay.

This time of year it is too dark to ride. In the summer I can squeeze riding in after I get home from work.

Horses have 24/7 access to pasture and stalls.

·
Registered
956 Posts
My horse is at my house and she isn't really stalled however she is in a corral with shelter at night. Here is my Schedule:
5:45 am Run outside and either feed hay(during winter) or let her into the pasture(summer)
6am-4pm I am getting ready for school and am at school.
4-5:30 pm Brush her, lounge, or ride
5:30-6pm I feed her change water and clean her corral
6-9 do homework
10 Sleep! :D
Sometimes if I don't have much Homework I will go for a longer trail ride or something

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not in school, but my daughter is so here goes.....

6am - wake up and let 3 dogs out, feed 2 cats, let 3 dogs back in and feed them.
7am - wake up grumpy 9 year old and start nagging her to eat breakfast
7:45a drive grumpy 9 yr old to school and head to the barn
8am - Fill 2 feed buckets with grain and a bit of water in the long barn, coax my two horses into their stalls, go to the other barn and fill 3 feed buckets with grain, a bit of water and a splash of oil, put two more horses in their stalls and one horse in the ring. Fill the remaining 2 feed buckets and feed the last two horses in the pasture. If the round bales are gone then I get a bale of hay and divide it generously into 7 piles out in the pasture somewhere (the driest place I can find). De-ice the water troughs and refill, let my two horses out of their stalls, let the other two horses out of their stalls (barns aren't close together), let one horse out of the ring. Clean any mess my two horses left in their stalls.

If I have time I brush out my horses (the mud is awful), clean up their hooves, restock any feed or hay that needs to be moved

10am - go home and take a nap

·
Registered
444 Posts
When i get/lease a horse this will be my schedule:
5am= get up
5-6am= get ready for school
6-7am= groom, muck out, unblanket, feed, water, Ect.
7:30-7:45am= rest for a bit
7:45am- 3pm= School
3- 5pm= groom, ride, possible muck out, feed and water horse and bond with it
6-8pm or later= go on horse forum, chill
At last then sleep

·
Registered
112 Posts
I board my horse and for a discount on fee I clean his stall.
8:00 - BO lets horses out of stall into pasture
3-4:00 pm pick up BO's daughter go to the barn
4:00 -5:00 Ride, arena or trails depending on weather
5:00 -5:30 Clean stall feed water horse.

Weekends we go out around 1:00 pm

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not keeping your horse in a stable is much less work, not to mention alot cheaper! I keep my horse in a group paddock which costs $32 a week. The place where she lives is also a riding school (as well as an agistment place) so I have access to all the facilities (indoor/outdoor arena, trails etc.)

I only have to go out once a day, usually in the afternoon. I catch her, brush, saddle up, ride for an hour or so, untack, brush and put her back in the paddock with a carrot or two before driving home.

My horse doesn't need feeding as she is a quarter horse and keeps her condition well. In the summer when the grass is good she just gets a carrot after a ride, or a hard feed once a week if shes working hard. In the winter she gets a biscuit of hay a day. A bale of hay costs around $20.

I highly recommend you keep your horse a 24/h paddock if possible, no mucking out or sweeping breezeways! Its cheaper and easier, especially when you have studies and can't always get out twice a day.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I highly recommend you keep your horse a 24/h paddock if possible, no mucking out or sweeping breezeways! Its cheaper and easier, especially when you have studies and can't always get out twice a day.
I clean out my paddocks when I clean out my stalls. I can not imagine how gross they would get if they were not ever cleaned. I am guessing the paddocks where you keep your horse are cleaned also.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Mine's easy.

6:20 Wake up
6:30 Feed horses
6:50 come back in from feeding horses, get dressed for school
7:00 drive to school
8:00-2:00 school
2:30 get home
3:00 ride if weather permits
5:00 feed horses