The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a survey for all the members of HorseForum! (Its mostly about horses but has some other stuff mixed in)
If there’s anything you don’t want to answer, just leave it blank! ^^

Rider (this is you)...
Age/Age Group: (you don’t have to be specific if you don’t want to)
Favorite...
Breed:
Color:
Size:
Riding Temperature:
Saddle:
Would you like to/have you compete/competed:
Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show:
If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be:
Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself:
Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like:
It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat:
It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold:
Favorite treat to give your horse:
Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn:
Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle:
Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow:
Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store:

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
23,241 Posts
K, I'll go first...

Age/Age Group: 40's

Height: Um... average?

Favorite...
Breed: haven't got one - too many good.

Color: I do like coloured horses, rather than your average brown, white, orange... - sorry, have been 'shot down' for that before... I mean grey, chestnut...

Size: Not much bigger than 15hh - like something easy to get on & off bareback.

Riding Temperature: Do you mean temperament? Used to love 'hyper' horsies. Now I prefer more mellow... so long as they've got a bit of get up & go & like to play! If temperature, not too fussed... so long as there's water around to splash in if it's 40 degrees!

Saddle: I love halfbreeds. Unfortunately halfbreed & western don't tend to suit most of my short backed horses, so too bad for me.

Would you like to/have you compete/competed: Have competed at low levels, long ago. Not overly interested in competing, or that scene/attitude towards horse sports. I like just having fun with horses & them having fun too. We do enjoy obstacles & the likes, and that Extreme Mountain Trail looks like fun. None around here, so we've joined an Extreme Cowboy club & may well compete, as their focus is on horsemanship skills & having fun WITH the horse - can stomach those types.

Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: As opposed to competing? So you mean like a breed show or such? Not interested.

If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Haha! I'm boring, I like my horses looking like horses. Mind you, seen some pretty arty clippings, that would be fun.

Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: No!

Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: Um... wings. That work. Grew up on Greek legends, dreamed of Pegasus...

It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: River or dam. If I was close to one, beach would be fun.

It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: Don't work them hard, that they get sweaty. Wear warm clothes.

Favorite treat to give your horse: Bits of carrot, rosehips. Pelleted feed. A good scratch, eye rub(one's fav thing) or ear tickle(another's fav).

Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: Home of course! Not barn. Horses should be horses, turned out with mates.

Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: I do ride more western style in a Wintec Dressage. I caution anyone jumping in a Western tho, as come down badly & that horn can do some real damage. I've been winded & bruised, having it come up under my ribs & know of people who have had busted ribs from it.

Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow:Fast. Still love a good gallop, the odd chance I get. Can't abide that Western thing where they have the horses all shuffling around miserably - & what's the point of riding if you can walk faster anyway??

Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store:Grow.

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
  • Age/Age Group: 40-50
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Favorite...
    • Breed: I think I always wanted a feisty Icelandic or a mellow TB
    • Color: Doesn't matter
    • Size: See "favorite breed" - in that range...
    • Riding Temperature: Depends on the weather otherwise, but 35ºF-75ºF mostly
    • Saddle: Close contact
  • Would you like to/have you compete/competed: No, horsing around is what I'll do in retirement
  • Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: Ditto.
  • If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Easily manageable
  • Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: That's what I have...
  • Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: Brown leather, but not too ornate. Functional, no bling.
  • It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: Give him a break.
  • It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: Go riding out - we'll both warm up soon.
  • Favorite treat to give your horse: Fruits of all sorts
  • Would you rather...
    • Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: With my level of expertise, boarding is safer for the horse.
    • Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: Ride Western in an English saddle. I once cut my wife's minis in the arena - everyone had a blast!
    • Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: I did ride an extremely fast horse for a little over a year. I would hold mane when I asked her to take off...
    • Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: Buy carrots - while I have a full-time job. After that, we can discuss it again...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
  • Age/Age Group: (you don’t have to be specific if you don’t want to) over 60
  • Height: short
    Favorite...
  • Breed: Lippitt Morgan
  • Color: solid bay, liver chestnut, grulla
  • Size: 13.3 to 14.2
  • Riding Temperature: cool to cold
  • Saddle: english trail saddle
  • Would you like to/have you compete/competed: competitive trail, ranch trials. But I haven't
  • Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: I have as a child, but not at all interested in dressing up any more.
  • If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: all natural
  • Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: no.
  • Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: plain good trail-quality leather, thanks
  • It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: swim! when possible
  • It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: skijoring and sleighing! Okay, that's still a fantasy
  • Favorite treat to give your horse: carrots and apples
  • Would you rather...
  • Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: my own barn
  • Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: I don't jump. But I trail ride in an English saddle.
  • Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: fast
  • Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: Buy 'em. Growing carrots means less time for riding.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Age/Age Group: 29
Height: 5'6 (166cm)
Favourite...
Breed: Belgian draught
Color: any
Size: 16hh+
Riding Temperature: medium rare :p
Saddle: English (endurance)
Would you like to/have you compete/competed: Maybe compete in a few years... probably not :p
Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: nope nope and nope
If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: long'n'curly (and roached when it gets mental)
Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: yes! (minus roaching!)
Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: all black leather, no bling, no noseband or flash and bright turquoise saddle cloth
It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: cool us both off and chill in some shade/bring her in her stall for the day
It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: rug her up and let her decide if she wants in or out
Favorite treat to give your horse: apple
Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: OWN HOUSE OFC! <3
Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: hm. ride western in an english saddle..
Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: fast!
Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: buy. not nearly enough carrots growin' fast enough :p

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Age/Age Group: 28
Height: 5'6"
Favourite...
Breed: Always wanted a Friesian but that's not practical for how I ride. Love Arabians (have 2) and gaited horses (have 2) but my heart horse somehow became a APHA mare that I stole from my husband
Color: black/dark bay but I love my red heads too
Size: 14-15 hands, I like being able to get on easily anywhere on the trail
Riding Temperature: 70s and sunny with a light breeze
Saddle: Endurance Western (high pommel and cantle no horn)
Would you like to/have you compete/competed: I currently compete in LD AERC rides and love it
Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: See above. Would love to try a 50 when I get a hose ready for it.
If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Stitch is pretty much always braided for rides now to keep her cool and she looks pretty cute. I need pink rubber bands
Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: heck no, plain pony tail or bust
Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: Stitch is pretty close she has all pink. I would love it if Toklat made Coolback pads in her color but black works for now. I saw someone with the most gorgeous Taylored Tack set this weekend so now I want one of those with the cute conchos/decorations on it. Jake I think will be blue but I need to get him a breast collar so maybe I'll save up and get him a whole blue set from them.
It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: braid her hair, sponge, bring an extra water bottle to dump on her neck. We rode 25 miles in the 90s with high humidity this weekend.
It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: ride around the field next to the house. She has a rump rug now (pink obviously) so that might help. She's fluffy in winter so it doesn't bother her.
Favorite treat to give your horse: Mrs. Pastures Cookies
Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: Have them at home and wouldn't change it for the world
Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: I guess ride western in English because I don't want to get stabbed with a horn
Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: Fast! Mostly steady....
Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store:Yeah, my horses are broken and don't like carrots. We have apple trees and in the fall when we can pick them and feed the horses they think it's the greatest thing ever....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K, I'll go first...

Age/Age Group: 40's

Height: Um... average?

Favorite...
Breed: haven't got one - too many good.

Color: I do like coloured horses, rather than your average brown, white, orange... - sorry, have been 'shot down' for that before... I mean grey, chestnut...

Size: Not much bigger than 15hh - like something easy to get on & off bareback.

Riding Temperature: Do you mean temperament? Used to love 'hyper' horsies. Now I prefer more mellow... so long as they've got a bit of get up & go & like to play! If temperature, not too fussed... so long as there's water around to splash in if it's 40 degrees!

Saddle: I love halfbreeds. Unfortunately halfbreed & western don't tend to suit most of my short backed horses, so too bad for me.

Would you like to/have you compete/competed: Have competed at low levels, long ago. Not overly interested in competing, or that scene/attitude towards horse sports. I like just having fun with horses & them having fun too. We do enjoy obstacles & the likes, and that Extreme Mountain Trail looks like fun. None around here, so we've joined an Extreme Cowboy club & may well compete, as their focus is on horsemanship skills & having fun WITH the horse - can stomach those types.

Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: As opposed to competing? So you mean like a breed show or such? Not interested.

If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Haha! I'm boring, I like my horses looking like horses. Mind you, seen some pretty arty clippings, that would be fun.

Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: No!

Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: Um... wings. That work. Grew up on Greek legends, dreamed of Pegasus...

It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: River or dam. If I was close to one, beach would be fun.

It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: Don't work them hard, that they get sweaty. Wear warm clothes.

Favorite treat to give your horse: Bits of carrot, rosehips. Pelleted feed. A good scratch, eye rub(one's fav thing) or ear tickle(another's fav).

Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: Home of course! Not barn. Horses should be horses, turned out with mates.

Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: I do ride more western style in a Wintec Dressage. I caution anyone jumping in a Western tho, as come down badly & that horn can do some real damage. I've been winded & bruised, having it come up under my ribs & know of people who have had busted ribs from it.

Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow:Fast. Still love a good gallop, the odd chance I get. Can't abide that Western thing where they have the horses all shuffling around miserably - & what's the point of riding if you can walk faster anyway??

Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store:Grow.
No, I literally meant temperature. xD I was talking about horses with my mom and she said, “So, what’s the best temperature to ride in?” and thus the question!

·
Premium Member
12,715 Posts

Height: 5'8"

Favorite...Breed: Arabian. Or mustang. Although a good Arabian/Appy mix is a fine looking horse (friend's):

Color: Me? The horse? I'm baked to look like a lobster. I love the looks of the horse above, but mine are various shades of brown.

Size: If a 12.0 hand horse could carry me, 12. Or 11.0, or 10. I'd love a horse I could straddle first, then sit down on. But realistically, 14-15 hands seems to be it.

Riding Temperature: 70-100 F.

Saddle: Best for staying on until starvation forces you off? Australian. Had a few western saddles, but am finding my cheap Abetta works best for me.

Would you like to/have you compete/competed/show stuff: No. Not at all. Sooooooo not interested!

If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Tangled & covered with horse spit. Except for the part Appy, whose mane isn't long enough to tangle.

Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: You mean a mohawk? That is soooo not me!

Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: An invisibility cloak, so people couldn't see how I ride.

It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: Ride. This is Arizona.

It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: Give 'em extra food, go inside, and heat up some chili for myself. Cold = below 70, not 70 below! At 68 F, I'm wearing a sweater!

Favorite treat to give your horse: He's willing to eat dried tumbleweeds. I don't think he knows what a treat is.

Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: Home

Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: Do either in an Australian saddle?

Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: I'd be happy strolling everywhere. My horse often has a different idea.

Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: In our soil? We can't grow WEEDS here!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rider (this is you)...
Age/Age Group: 41
Height: 5’8

Favorite...
Breed: Arabian
Color: Dapple Grey
Size: 15hh
Riding Temperature: 25 degrees Celsius
Saddle: Dressage
Would you like to/have you compete/competed: I have and still compete.
Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: I have and still do
If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: long and flowing
Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: yes
Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: all Black and hot pink matching
It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: fly rug, stable, hose down, plenty of water and a hay net
It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold:Stable, rug and feed warm feeds
Favorite treat to give your horse: carrots
Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: my own
Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: ride western in an English saddle
Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: slow
Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: buy

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Rider (this is you)...
Age/Age Group: 60's

Height: 5'8

Favorite...
Breed: Grade

Color: Always liked appaloosas, but you cant ride color, never owned or ridden one. Soundness and temperament trump all. Current horse is a roan.

Size: 13hh - 15hh

Riding Temperature: I live in the tropics. I have a choice of hot or hotter.

Saddle: I've always had the philosophy of ride the horse, not the saddle. I've ridden in every type I could try. I grew fond of McClellans while stationed with the cavalry. Current favorite is a reconditioned antique Hope western A fork saddle.

Would you like to/have you compete/competed: Competed (unsuccessfully) on bareback broncs in the '70s & early '80s. Never won anything, but learned a lot about how horses move when they misbehave, & how to stay balanced.

Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: Showed western pleasure on the 4-H and open show circuit in the early '70s. Haven't even seen a horse show since '74.

If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Easy to manage.

Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: I keep a buzz cut. I'm severely lacking in the forelock department.

Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: I kinda like my Hope saddle.

It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: Work in the mornings or evenings, when it is not as hot.

It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: Contemplate the end of life as we know it. Seriously, last January, during an unusually long rainy season, it got down to 10c. Some folks hereabouts actually thought the world was coming to an end.

Favorite treat to give your horse: Rock salt. My horse doesn't like treats. I've tried apples and watermelon. No go. Even tried rubbing salt on them. No go. Years go, I had a BLM mustang that could be a bit hard to catch. Fortunately, she was a sucker for green apples.

Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: My place.

Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: See comment above about saddles.

Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: I don't like extremes. I prefer one to walk along at a natural pace, and move out smartly when asked.

Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: All my neighbors are farmers. I'll buy from them.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Rider (this is you)...
Age/Age Group: 60's

Height: 5'8

Favorite...
Breed: Grade

Color: Always liked appaloosas, but you cant ride color, never owned or ridden one. Soundness and temperament trump all. Current horse is a roan.

Size: 13hh - 15hh

Riding Temperature: I live in the tropics. I have a choice of hot or hotter.

Saddle: I've always had the philosophy of ride the horse, not the saddle. I've ridden in every type I could try. I grew fond of McClellans while stationed with the cavalry. Current favorite is a reconditioned antique Hope western A fork saddle.

Would you like to/have you compete/competed: Competed (unsuccessfully) on bareback broncs in the '70s & early '80s. Never won anything, but learned a lot about how horses move when they misbehave, & how to stay balanced.

Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: Showed western pleasure on the 4-H and open show circuit in the early '70s. Haven't even seen a horse show since '74.

If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Easy to manage.

Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: I keep a buzz cut. I'm severely lacking in the forelock department.

Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: I kinda like my Hope saddle.

It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: Work in the mornings or evenings, when it is not as hot.

It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: Contemplate the end of life as we know it. Seriously, last January, during an unusually long rainy season, it got down to 10c. Some folks hereabouts actually thought the world was coming to an end.

Favorite treat to give your horse: Rock salt. My horse doesn't like treats. I've tried apples and watermelon. No go. Even tried rubbing salt on them. No go. Years go, I had a BLM mustang that could be a bit hard to catch. Fortunately, she was a sucker for green apples.

Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: My place.

Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: See comment above about saddles.

Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: I don't like extremes. I prefer one to walk along at a natural pace, and move out smartly when asked.

Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: All my neighbors are farmers. I'll buy from them.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Rider (this is you)...
Age/Age Group: Kodger
Height: 5' 10"
Favorite...
Breed: Tame
Color: Bay
Size: Large
Riding Temperature: Mild
Saddle: Endurance
Would you like to/have you compete/competed: No, No, at least not with Equines.
Would you like to/have you be in a show/been in a show: No, No.
If your horse could have any hairstyle, what would it be: Natural.
Would you want a matching hairstyle for yourself: Got it :)
Fantasy tack time! If you could have the perfect tack, what would it look like: The tack I use.
It’s hot out! Ugh! What do you do with your horse in the heat: They hang out in their stalls under the ceiling fans.
It’s cold out! Eek! What do you do with your horse in the cold: They get blankets for severe cold, or bad weather.
Favorite treat to give your horse: Corn on the cob.
Would you rather...
Board your horse in someone’s barn or have your horse in your own house/barn: I care for them myself.
Jump in a Western saddle or ride Western in an English saddle: Huh?
Ride an extremely fast horse or extremely slow: I have one of each.
Grow your own carrots to feed your horse or buy carrots from the store: I get my produce at the grocery store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.