The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to horses. I just built a horse barn for my daughter. She and her husband want all sorts of blanket racks etc... on the stall doors. As I feed the horses in their stalls and I happen to be in there with them at times I get bumped around by the horse inadvertently.
I am not too keen on the idea of things protruding into the aisle. I don't like things trashing up the hallway, as we have an adequate tack room. Plus, I worry about being pushed into some fixed metal projection. The current practice is to loop halter and lead ropes as pictured, which I have no problem with!
Is this a baseless concern?

Then there is the Golden Rule................ he who has the gold makes the rules, AND THAT IS ME!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
My horse would pull that into her stall and chew it up. I would also be concerned of the loop. Blanket racks and bridle hooks do not stick out bit 2 inches or so nor have any sharp edges. YOur daughter got a very nice barn.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
You can get temporary saddle racks which are just a rectangular post of wood with a screw-in brass hookat the end. Then there is a screw in brass loop that the hook connects to, and the shape of the post causes it to stand horizontally. Just as easily you can take it away, or let it hang on its side.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Lots of places I've agisted at have had places to hang blankets - usually in stalls. They were home-made design usually with a long piece of polypipe with some rope thread through it, then tied highish on the wall. We'd hang the rug over it so it would only sit out the thickness of the rug. When un-used it was pretty much flush to the wall. This wouldn't work with horses that chewed though.

I share your desire for a clean aisle. Other boarders at places have put boxes out front but I found that made it all a bit messy, harder to clean out the aisle and more things to avoid. On the other hand carrying rugs and stuff around twice a day is pretty annoying.

Could you make a sort of compromise and use some kind of portable rack? It could be designed kind of like one of those portable clothes racks, with two or three poles running the length, perhaps a shelf on the bottom and then some sturdy wheels. It could be wheeled up the aisle when unrugging, placing each rug on it as you go along, and in the evening just come back the other way. All the rugs at hand just outside the stable door and no need to carry things back and forth. You could also put tack or grooming gear on it if needed.

Just an idea. It's a lovely barn.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Gorgeous barn! I'm an engineer, could you explain the various doors that appear to be on the walls? Seems interesting!

Collapsible Blanket Bar | Dover Saddlery

This might help you out greatly. We have these on every stall in my barn and my ONE complaint is that we keep all the blankets on one...They get very crowded. In my perfect barn, I'd have something like this in the tack room for wet or currently unused blankets, and the bar on the stall.

It also looks like you have no halter hooks. They're really important to have around. Hanging halters on the door opening at my barn would last about a week before they were pulled into the stall and trashed. Plus, I can't imagine having to balance them on a piece of metal about four times a day. I'd go crazy.

Again, beautiful barn!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Personally, I detest stuff hanging on stalls. Particularly blankets, as spiders tend to hang out in them!!

I prefer a single hook on each stall for the halter/leadrope (I don't like looping them as it's too time consuming to get it off if a horse gets loose) and that's it.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I don't have stalls, but I dislike hanging anything on the fence. We tried a rack for the halter, but the horses kept chewing on them. We have hitching rails away from stalls which is where people saddle and unsaddle. The tack rooms are by them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.