Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you have had a horse that throws its head back when standing still?
If so.. What's the best way to stop this? A friend of mine suggested putting a water balloon above his head so when he throws his head back he hits it.. There was a theory behind this but I won't go into detail. He's well behaved in every other way, although we have some arguments about stopping (he's still green OTT so I don't expect him to be perfect just yet!)

He was really good for a few months when I had him in work, but I was unable to ride him for just over 3 weeks and now he's become pretty bad.

Will it go away in time? or is there a solution?

Thanks guys!
M

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
He throws his head at a standstill?

Need more information.
Does he only do it while being ridden, or does he do it in the pasture, too? With the reins loose, or on contact? Have his teeth been floated? What sort of bit are you using and how is your bridle adjusted? Does he do it while he's moving? Does this seem to be a boredom reaction?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He throws his head at a standstill?

Need more information.
Does he only do it while being ridden, or does he do it in the pasture, too? With the reins loose, or on contact? Have his teeth been floated? What sort of bit are you using and how is your bridle adjusted? Does he do it while he's moving? Does this seem to be a boredom reaction?
We've done all of that, no he doesn't do it in the paddock, his bridle is fitted properly and he has a noseband (he has a habit of putting his tongue over the bit), we've swapped bits multiple times we thought that might have been the problem as well, his teeth were done 2 months ago, he does it sometimes at a walk but never at a trot/canter.

We're not sure what it is, a lady suggested it might be a "I want to go NOW" thing he has from being a racehorse.. he doesn't do it as much when I'm on him.

I ride him with a halter sometimes when I'm brining him up from the back paddocks and he still does it then, he doesn't have any bad intention as he still listens to me and I still have control - so I'm a little bit stumped.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It might not be what your boy is doing, but this site may be able to help you out a bit if it is.

THE REIN SNATCHER

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
No worries. Hope it goes well for you

·
Registered
81 Posts
My horse is a head tosser too. His is more of a quick flip up and down and its definitely an I want to go thing. When were moving I will make him go supple and bend at the pole when he head tosses as a detourant. He will do it at a stand still too if he is amped up and I have any contact on the reigns, so I just let them go slack and it seems to help.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Can you get a video of it?

It may determine whether its behavioural, learnt (TB, racetrack etc which is a first I've heard) or a pain issue.

A horse at our yard, 7yo, €7,500 worth and newly bought was a nightmare. Although he apparently had a vet check before purchase, they can't find it. He has kissing spine, so no wonder the poor man was shaking his head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ DaffyDuck - I'll get a video of it this morning when I go out. The vets looked at him a few times and I brought it up with her (hence the "race horse" theory), she said it might go away with time... It did.. temporarily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.