The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we traded our horse for a better, fully broke horse. We rode her there at their house and she did great. We get her home, and she doesnt want to move forward. She keeps going backwards, or she will turn around and head for her pen. What would be wrong with her? Even with my horse out in front she wont even follow, or wont go past a part in the yard. I did however get her to go around the block once, but i had to really get after her, but after that she wouldnt go anymore. If someone has advice please let me know..

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It is you, not the horse more than likely.

Horses KNOW when someone doesn't know what they are doing.

I have seen dead broke, kid safe horses become complete morons when they are bought by someone that doesn't know what they are doing. And the exact same horse, in the same 10 minutes, will, if a rider/handler that has horse skills, behave perfectly for that other person.

She is also out of her home, and may be settling in to a degree too.

Could also have been drugged, or worked very hard well before you got there too. And saddle fit could be bad?

It could also be you have bad hands on the reins, or too high a hand, and are keeping too much contact on the reins. Could be, if you are using a curb bit, that you have curb strap too tight?

Can you post some videos of you riding horse, as that would help better than anything.

Failing that, post your location so that if anyone is in area near you, they might be willing to come out and give you some good on the ground help.

Horses are just not something you can learn as you go 99% of the time. And sure can't know much of what you need to know online either.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Perhaps, she just needs time to adjust to her new home. How long had it been since she had arrived at her new house before you rode her?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we rode her there at where she was, and she did good. We were told to give her an hour and try her out.. She has been there since saturday.. I got the people coming out saturday to see whats wrong with her!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I almost spit out my water when I read OP's last post. Horses are not like cars where you just get on and drive. You have to have a connection with the horse, know what his cues are or make your own. She may be real nervous and need a week or more to adjust. Palomone is correct, a lot of the work is in the hands. Always be kind and gentle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know she is well trained, she swims, jumps, she does sliding stops. You dont find very many horses around here that can do reining stuff. It might be our saddle, or she doesnt like our snaffle.. Its hard to tell..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And im always kind and gentle.. I have my own horse this is my gfs horse.. But im helping her with getting it to move.. Im almost want to say that she is nervous.. Shes a sweet heart. If she is tied up to our trailer, she paws at the ground like she wants to go. But as soon as we put the saddle on she wont hold still, and when you do get on she just stands there. Ive nudged her, slapped her on the butt and still no go. She will walk, but back towards her pen, if i turn her around she just stands there.. I can get her to move forward a bit. But then she just starts backing up and wont quit.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I think with all due respect that it might be time for some lessons. I have been in lessons with my mare (after a life time of riding) and found them to be very helpful. Sometimes, its nice to have someone's view from the ground to tell you what you are doing and you may not even realize you are doing it (particularly when learning a new horse).

I would guess that the horse may have been drugged, but the folks coming out to help may point against that. What kind of equipment are you riding her in? How old is this horse? Are you comfortable around her?

I ask that because I have a mare who sometimes decides she does not wish to do X. At which point in time, I can get really, really into her face and make her do it in an assertive way. I know this mare will back down if we ever get into a meeting of the minds. Her half brother if treated the same way will loose his mind and not come near me for weeks at a time. How this horse reacts to things and your comfort level with what he/she does dictates what your course of action should be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think we need lessons, not saying that it would benefit, but we are pretty good with our animals. And we ride western, and a snaffle. Thats what she was rode in, it might be the snaffle, headstall, bit, it could be a number of things. Or she just hasnt settled in yet.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Dustin, you may take this any way you like. My intention is not to be rude but blunt.

You and your GF both need lessons to learn how to properly ride a horse and handle any minor little misbehavior that comes up. If a horse is as well trained as you claim then the reason that she won't move has nothing to do with her and everything to do with you. It's something you're doing that's making her react that way. Either you don't know the cues that she was trained for (some horses, leg means "stop and back up" instead of "go forward"), or you are giving seriously conflicting signals.

The only other possibility is that she isn't trained nearly as well as you thought :?.

Either way, we can't help you when all the information we have is a few written sentences on a forum. You need professional, hands-on help.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It sounds as though she's not comfortable yet- with her new environment and with you. Work with her on the ground and gain her respect. I also suggest a few lessons. Don't get defensive about that, there's always more we can learn from another set of experienced eyes on the ground. If you were so great with your animals, you wouldn't come on here asking for help. So work on her manners and gaining her respect. Without it, she won't do anything for you.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
So I almost spit out my water when I read OP's last post. Horses are not like cars where you just get on and drive. You have to have a connection with the horse, know what his cues are or make your own. She may be real nervous and need a week or more to adjust. Palomone is correct, a lot of the work is in the hands. Always be kind and gentle.
I have no idea what is going on with the OP's horse but the above I respectfully disagree with. Any well trained horse you should be able to get on and go with at least a little effort on the horse's part. I don't think I have ever bought a horse that I didn't just get on and ride, the same or next day. Yes, the horse may be nervous. We may not have our cues worked out. But I should be able to get on the horse and it walk forward and I should be able to steer and stop and go. That is so very basic that a broke horse should be able to do that for any rider. Finesse will come later. Relaxation and understanding will come later. But walk, stop, go and turn the horse should have pretty well down pat.

I am leaning towards either a saddle fit issue or the horse totally has you hoodwinked. I have seen horses that if you don't work out who is in charge from the get-go, they will just assume they are in charge. For instance, when I bought my mare she would leave the property at first but if I came back home (like say I forgot something) and tried to leave again she would refuse to leave. So I started carrying a crop and I only had to do that for a week or two, and I used the crop maybe 3 times total. Now I NEVER have that issue. But it's like I had to prove myself that first week or so.

I am a big softie, not a disciplinarian. If anything, my horses are spoiled rotten. But sometimes you have to prove you are actually the leader and be willing to back it up so the horse knows you are worthy of leading. It's sort of like you have to work out the pecking order between the two of you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly think its because she is at a new place. She is a trail horse, shes used to anyone just jumping on and riding. The guys little kids rode her no problem. And they cant even reach the stirups. They ride her bare back, with no bit, just a halter and lead rope. She can ride double, and while she is swiming. There was no certain cues, he said walk and she did. He pulled back on the reins and she did sliding stops. Pretty basic stuff. Not mentioning the fact that the little kid got on her and had her going through the field at full gallop no problem.. Trust me i know how to ride a horse, im not dumb. Its in no means that the horse is at fault. Its probably us, or the tack.. She just refuses to go past a certain part in our yard. We lunged her the other day and she responded to everything we asked. She wasnt drugged, or else they wouldnt be coming out to see whats wrong with her.. She acts the same as she did there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my mare is only six, and ive had her for two months, I gave her about a week to settle in, before getting on her, and I immediately ran into slight problems, but they were easily resolved with a dressage whip, and because im just slightly more stubborn than her. trulee is learning to obey me, she generally does, after two months, but still tries and test me when I first get on, just give her some time, force her past that spot, make her stand in it, walk her past it again and again. And with force I don't mean, beat her to death, I mean make her.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Is this the same saddle that your other horse (the one you traded for) was having troubles in? In which case, I say get rid of that saddle as something is not right with it.

Needing lessons is not about being smart or stupid. Its about getting a hands on opinion about your horse. Its about having a better working relationship with your horse. Right now, by my count you are having problems with a new horse, which you got because you were having problems with your old horse. You also have two broke horses who can't/won't/don't leave the stable. If I was in your boat I would take a lesson. Lessons can also boost your confidence with your horse. Your girlfriend has has some falls over the last little while. So her confidence might need a boost. A few lessons might allow her to fix this horse's problem which could really help her out with respect to having a relationship with this horse. If the other owner's children were riding this horse and he is not moving for your girlfriend I think it might be that your girlfriend lacks confidence and the horse is smart enough to know that.

I would hate to say the horse needs a come to jesus meeting with you and a buggy whip when some horses will rear on you when you do that. If you are pushing him forward with a whip and pulling back or cuing than you could end up with a horse rearing. Which is not a situation I think your girlfriend wants.

Edit to add that for my opinion, a horse should be able to go to a new place and be ridden. The only difference between a track/show/trail ride is that your horse gets to live at your house. A new location does not excuse bad behavior or a mental breakdown.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I honestly think its because she is at a new place. She is a trail horse, shes used to anyone just jumping on and riding.

If she's a trail horse, then she should be used to riding in new places and with new people and shouldn't need time to settle in.

She acts the same as she did there.
Clearly she doesn't if you can't get her to walk forward :?.

...The guys little kids rode her no problem. And they cant even reach the stirups. They ride her bare back, with no bit, just a halter and lead rope...

...There was no certain cues, he said walk and she did. He pulled back on the reins and she did sliding stops. Pretty basic stuff. Not mentioning the fact that the little kid got on her and had her going through the field at full gallop no problem...

Trust me i know how to ride a horse, im not dumb.
Never said you were dumb, but if you knew how to ride a horse well, you wouldn't be having all these problems with every single horse you ride.

The fact that she's had kids riding her and she'll just go right on with them tells me, again, that it's something you're doing to create these behaviors and has nothing to do with her "needing time to settle in" or "because she's at a new place".

That's great that you've got the previous owners coming out to help you, but I still wholeheartedly believe that both of you need lessons to learn how to deal with what are, IMHO, very simple behavioral problems. Whether it's because you are giving the wrong cues or you aren't confident enough to get them to do what you ask...or if you don't know how to fit a saddle/bridle/bit and that's causing the horse to refuse out of pain.

You still need hands-on help or you will keep having more and more problems.

And with that advice, I'll simply wish your horse luck and walk away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SMROBS: listen i havent ignored anything on what you guys have said. I know how to ride a horse, i have my own, and i can handle her just fine. I came on here to see if anyone had ideas on how to get her to go.. Im still learning, but im not going to pay for lessons, when i can learn from people that have experince for free. I can figure stuff out for myself, but i came here so i wouldbnt be beating the horse to death with a whip, or my boot. Everyone has difference opinions and i like to read all of them. Its probably something to do with our tack, and the person that had her is coming out to give us a hand.. Thats all we can do right now..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ok, please do not take this the wrong way, but this is what I can see from the whole situation (including your other posts). You and your girlfriend are the backyard type, who think they know everything. Y'all think your skills are way above where they truly are. You don't put much thought into saddle fit. Frankly sometimes for me your grammar and posts get a little hard to understand on top of that. Find a good experienced trainer who can work with you and your horses. Taking lessons isn't a matter of ego, I know well known trainers who compete at high levels that still take lessons. Part of being a good horseperson is taking lessons and always learning so you can do right by your horses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sullysrider: Well we are back woods ********, i appreciate you noticing that.. Oh and the saddle fit thing we know and we care about that. We are just getting started so we havnt got a saddle fitter lined up yet.. And if we were doing barrels, poles, reining events then i would consider a lesson or two. But we are just going to be riding trails. I would consider myself novice at this, and yeah i could use some work, but im not paying for that right now, specially in winter time. And my grammer whats wrong with it. Im used to texting so when i type it just comes natural.. Sorry cant help it. I didnt know we were gettting tested for our grammar. I thought this was a horse forum.. Look im not here to be a smart ***, or say whats right or wrong, i come on here to get help, advice with stuff, not to be shot down, or be rudely talked too. I wont put up with that.. Most of you people on here have lots of money, well i dont, but i still provide for the animals i do have, so dont think they are not getting taken care of. Because they eat before i do every morning.. Just saying

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.