The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my horse HATES the straight load I can get him in the three hours slant and the stock trailer but those aren't mine! I can finally get his feet in all the way and he's eating in there and relaxed but as soon as you try to close the door all hell breaks loose! He backs or really fast refuses to go in and it's just horrible. So the whole work them outside and let them rest in the fault that'd work if he didn't start working himself he would rather lunge and work his butt off into a sweaty mess than get back in the trailer I finally get him back in but if anyone is near the door forget about it. He's stubborn but I'm more stubborn I'm determined any suggestions would be appreciated at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
so my horse HATES the straight load I can get him in the three hours slant and the stock trailer but those aren't mine! I can finally get his feet in all the way and he's eating in there and relaxed but as soon as you try to close the door all hell breaks loose! He backs or really fast refuses to go in and it's just horrible. So the whole work them outside and let them rest in the fault that'd work if he didn't start working himself he would rather lunge and work his butt off into a sweaty mess than get back in the trailer I finally get him back in but if anyone is near the door forget about it. He's stubborn but I'm more stubborn I'm determined any suggestions would be appreciated at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Let him go in and out a few times with out trying to close him in. Act like you are going to close the door but do not. He will start to relax and not worry about being trapped

·
Super Moderator
15,201 Posts
Don't try to close him in.

Load him...get him to stand still for a minute
THEN, YOU UNLOAD HIM...on your terms and when you wish.
Sometimes as soon as he came in you back him out, other times he can stand to wait a minute or two or more...on your terms is the key.

In and out a few times and a few days of doing this....

When he realizes he won't have the door closed on him he should relax and calm some in the trailer.

The bigger the deal and more you push the issue the more he is going to react to your unknowing stress and pressure you are putting on him.

Good luck....tough loaders are not fun and take much to get over it... makes you wonder if something happened to him in a trailer that he gets in such a state of "Escape"....

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Don't try to close him in.

Load him...get him to stand still for a minute
THEN, YOU UNLOAD HIM...on your terms and when you wish.
Sometimes as soon as he came in you back him out, other times he can stand to wait a minute or two or more...on your terms is the key.

In and out a few times and a few days of doing this....

When he realizes he won't have the door closed on him he should relax and calm some in the trailer.

The bigger the deal and more you push the issue the more he is going to react to your unknowing stress and pressure you are putting on him.

Good luck....tough loaders are not fun and take much to get over it... makes you wonder if something happened to him in a trailer that he gets in such a state of "Escape"....
Thank you for explaining it much more thoroughly than I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.