Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Background:
I lease a horse at a quiet barn that only has a few boarders. The owner of the barn has several Arabs that she doesn't do anything with, they just sit. One of these Arabs I fell in love with and started working with as a little side project in addition to my lease. My instructor (who I lease from) has also been working with her. She has come a long way and I was even considering buying her in the future.

The Problem:
As you know, most horses have a 'good' way and a 'bad' way. Her bad way is to the right. Lately she has been doing this thing where when cantering to the right she trips, almost enough to fall over. At first I thought it was her bell boots, so I stopped putting them on, and it continued. She has done it at different spots around the arena, always going right, always in the canter. I have tried lungeing her both ways at all gaits with and without side reins and she's perfectly fine.

The Issue:
I have asked my trainer/instructor about it, and she said this mare did the same thing when she was riding her. We have spoken to the vet about it, and the vet seems to think it is something in her shoulder. In order to have it looked at though, we would have to transport her to the horse hospital for an x ray, which neither of us can afford and the real owner of the horse refuses to do. She seems sound and fine not being ridden, and as I mentioned, its ONLY going right and ONLY at the canter. Walking and trotting there is no difference at all.

The Question:
Has anyone else ever had something like this happen? How was it solved? Do you know what this could be? I really love this mare and want to do what I can for her. My instructor seems to think we should stop riding her all together, but that thought makes me sad. What do you all think? Please help!!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I would expect the hooves to be the cause of a tripping issue far before the shoulder... all you need is to measure the angles and length of the hooves, an imbalance in the hooves would be all that is needed to cause tripping.
The next thing I would expect, again, before the shoulder, would be a respiratory issue. She may be starting to develop into a roarer, or have something funky in her throat not allowing her to get enough air. Throat or respiratory issues are also known to cause tripping.
If it is not either of those, a basic flexion test will tell your vet more than an x ray of the shoulder.... the shoulder is not a joint. The torso of the horse is connected to the front legs with muscles, tendons and ligaments so an x ray most likely won't find anything in the shoulder...

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Kayty
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.