The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse was 14 yrs old. I have 5 other Quarter horses also. He was fed free choice grassy hay with twice a day feeding of complete feed 12% pellets 8 lbs total. I was adding warm water to the pellets. He was losing weight is why I started feeding the pellets. He also was on Equioxx(firocoxib) 57mg tablet once a day- Vet prescribed when he showed signs of lameness in one front leg. He never went off feed and never had a fever. He had a barn to go into and a 3 acre lot he had free access to with a waterer in the barnyard and free access to a salt block. I noticed my horse started backing into the wooden fence, the barn wall etc and leaning back against them as if to give him support. Next he started dragging his hind feet. His lameness in the front leg went away. His manure looked fine all during this and he had no trouble urinating. A day later he struggled getting up …we had to help him up to stand. The next two days worsened until he was unable to get himself up to stand. Again no fever and never went off feed. Sadly we had to have the Vet put him down. I wanted to know if any of you had any insight into this. It was very devastating. Vet had no diagnosis to offer.

·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts
I would like to welcome you to the forum and offer my sympathies at the same time.
It is sad how fast the decline was...
I have no idea of what could of happened..
Only way I know to have a factual answer is a necropsy, aka autopsy done.
I'm so sorry....

hlg.

·
Super Moderator
26,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry about your horse. It's awful to lose them especially when it is sudden like that. What you described could have been any number of things such as a neurological disease like EPM, or a tick born illness, it could have been a floating tumor, an injury that occurred a day or so before that was effecting the spine or the nervous system, it could have been an attack from a genetic disease such as HYPP (Depending on the breed and lineage)...

Really hard to even guess without a necropsy....

Did the vet have any guesses?

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Only an autopsy will be able to tell you for sure. We can all take guesses, but one thing I know for sure, a downed horse is a dead horse. You did the kind thing for your horse.

·
Premium Member
24,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum & sorry to hear of your loss of an obviously well loved horse. Glad to hear you didn't let him suffer long.

My first thought was stringhalt or some such neurological 'disease' too. But of course, without more info & testing, who knows. What tests did your vet do to ascertain the lameness & possible cause in the first instance?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My mare continuously went down, and seemingly had little control of her hinds legs for very long, vet guessed that she had a pinched nerve in her back. She was put to sleep within hours of her symptoms starting.

I'm sorry you are going through this - it is so much harder when there are not certain answers for what happened, or what could have been done.

·
Premium Member
24,112 Posts
Yeah, my old boy, they guessed had a tumour or such - he just wasted away, despite best everything, vet said only other thing I could have done is put him on a truck to the vet hospital a couple hrs away for $1000's in scoping & maybe an op on top if they found anything. He was 34yo, few teeth missing... wouldn't have put him through that even if I had the... however many $k it turned out to be. Still seemed happy & not in pain or such, vet agreed, till suddenly one day he couldn't get up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts