The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kelly - Purebred Arabian - Ex endurance racer - Training to barrel race
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tons of mixed answers on this, and now, I kind of wish I had taken a picture of his urine to get an actual opinion.

This morning, I walked into my horse's stall and immediately noticed he had peed in his feed bowl which had had ground flaxseed and TC Lite for dinner last night as well as some hay he had kicked into it. This urine though, was straight up nasty. It was a white, around the edges and underneath when it was disturbed, super creamy and thick. Nasty, mucus-gross thick. To top it off, what has warranted this post, it was a bloody red that sat on top of everything else. All the mucus was focused on the bottom. I know proteins in the urine can cause it to turn a bloody red when it's cold and it stayed a steady 31-31 degrees F. last night. I know he also drank a lot of water last night. He usually drinks about half of a 17.5 gal. tub of water, maybe a bit less, almost every night. The day before, he had a good healthy workout as well, lots of slow trotting and a couple of circles of collected, balanced loping (not sure if this will help at all, but I read after exercise urine can be darker).

I'll try to monitor throughout the day and make sure he's not straining or if it looks like normal urine on the way out. But, based on what was described, what would your guys' first move would be?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
To do what you are doing by watching for him to pee again. Is it possible there was still a little feed left in his pan and that is what the mucus looking stuff is?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To do what you are doing by watching for him to pee again. Is it possible there was still a little feed left in his pan and that is what the mucus looking stuff is?
It's a possibility, but he eats all of his grain. There was a little bit of flaxseed left on the edges, while washing it out, but I couldn't imagine that it would cause his urine to be as thick as it was.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Ground Flaxseed gels when mixed with liquid. It gets horribly nasty.
Yes, to the point where you can use it as an egg substitute.

ETA: Moonshine gets ground flax seed in her feed and she often leaves it. It doesn't seem to taste very good. So it seems possible he may have left some.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, to the point where you can use it as an egg substitute.

ETA: Moonshine gets ground flax seed in her feed and she often leaves it. It doesn't seem to taste very good. So it seems possible he may have left some.
I believe this is true. He will eat it, but leave it if he's not able to get it from the edges of the bowl. I've decided I'll wet his food down before adding flaxseed and then sprinkle it so it coats instead of balls up. ^^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts