The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hullo people! I have a 18 year old quarter horse who came from an inland property. I live on the coast an I’m thinking he’s been affected by the itch. It’s not as serious as my last pony who would scratch until he was raw but I am still concerned. I have been tugging my horse with a summer combo rug, he has a fly mask and gets fly spray daily. The most affected areas are his shoulders and dock. If this isn’t itch related is there maybe something missing in his diet? He only gets fed after rides because he is paddock kept, he gets Lympia Horse Pellets, Lucerne Chaff, Calcium/dolomite and 2 cups of oil. Since giving him oil his coat has gotten a bit better. He is also being washed with medicated hossgloss and human selsun gold. Any advice is greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that sometimes when I brush him it’s seems that he is covered in dandruff and when I brush it off it turns into little flakes

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
How long has it been since using the hossgloss? Looks like a fungal infection to me but he may need a few treatments and time for the hair to grow back. A friend's horse had similar, from a fungus in the sand she was lying down in.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been using hossgloss in him for 4 years... in winter his coat is normal but in summer it’s like this

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used an anti fungal solution, I’m not sure what it was but it was just enough for one use from my coach. Any recommendations of what I should try?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
My friend used Eqyss Microtek shampoo on her mare. I think she used it several times to clear it up. But if this is recurring I'd have a vet look at it. Maybe he has an allergy or something. At least the vet can take a sample to see what the culprit is.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I wonder if he's allergic to something in the feed. Can you see if there's soy in there? It's a pretty common food allergy. You could also have him allergy tested by your vet.

You could also look at how much vitamin E he's getting. If they aren't getting enough, it can make their skin and coats dry.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks guys. He hasn’t got any soy. I’ve only started feeding him this year because his is paddock kept and he has had this since I got him. I asked the previous owner about it and she said he didn’t have it inland. I don’t think he has any vitamin E in his supplements but I’ll have to check.

·
Super Moderator
23,257 Posts
That 3rd pic looks as if that area is seriously swollen. If not for the other pics showing he isn't, I'd guess he was obese - or it was a pic of a beef bull! I'd look at his diet & nutritional balance. Ensure he's getting adequate Omega 3 & not too much O6 & 9. Treating as a fungal prob may help.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That 3rd pic looks as if that area is seriously swollen. If not for the other pics showing he isn't, I'd guess he was obese - or it was a pic of a beef bull! I'd look at his diet & nutritional balance. Ensure he's getting adequate Omega 3 & not too much O6 & 9. Treating as a fungal prob may help.
Haha, he normally looks like that from that angle plus he was a bit pumped after being worked hard. He didn’t feel at all lame or look it and the temperature was normal (I check all his legs before and after riding.) thanks for pointing it out anyway

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is a big fat but not obese, were working on it! :) we just got drought breaking rain and suddenly we have grass everywhere!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys. Just an update on Jakes coat. It’s gotten worse... j took off his rug just for a few days because he had had it on for quite a while and this happened

He has rubbed skin like this ALL over his body

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We call it the Queensland itch. I thinks it’s because the rain has brought back the bugs because the last few years we were in drought and he was fine. I washed him with medicated hoss gloss and human selsun gold.

·
Super Moderator
11,695 Posts
If it is sweet itch talk to your vet about a repeated, high dose of ivermectin. They should have a recommendation that works. It only helps if the microfilarae from thread worms are migrating to the surface but if it is that time of year then that works.

Rugging can also cause problems - irritation, rain rot. Let his skin breathe. Isn't it summer there?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. He is rugged most day’s but I take it off every now and then. It’s a summer combo so it has mesh on the sides. It is summer here but the temp is between 20 and 25 max

1 - 19 of 19 Posts