The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare has been showing all the signs of ulcers. She's always had a slightly sour attitude but over the past month it's gotten worse, and I've noticed her having more gut pains and soreness around her belly. I do plan on getting her scoped for ulcers, but my question is...

Should I go ahead and switch her feed? She is on Safechoice, what brand should I use?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Treat with what your vet recommends, free choice hay in a slow feed net, and cut down grain if possible. I personally would never scope, it can cause irritation and there's no guarantee that you'll even be able to see anything. It also involves making the horse fast. I personally chose to just treat, no harm done if there is no ulcers. But considering how many horses do have ulcers I would say you're probably dealing with them. I would also look at your management practices, you'd be surprised how many horses have ulcers, it isn't until they become bad that you see the signs.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's on 24/7 turnout with a round bale, it has a slow feed net on it.

Is ulcergaurd something that you have to keep them on for a long time or is it like a certain number of doses?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I agree - no need to scope. Remove all grain products and products that contain grain from her diet. Home treatment is aloe vera juice/gel and slippery elm bark. If you search the forum, under my name, somewhere I have posted the quantities.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I believe with anything you need to treat for at least a month as that is the average time it takes for them to heal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait, take away all grain? What should I feed her? I can't exactly feed everyone else and NOT feed her, lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I do not remove feed only sweet feed as they seem to make ulcers worse.

I use EquiSure from Smartpak for 30 to 60 days, only had 1 case go 90 days but he was fresh from the track and had bad ulcers and hindgut problems.

After Equisure if the horse is a horse that is an A Type personality I put a bit of beet pulp and alfalfa cubes (soaked) in their feed and it does seem to help.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yes, grain products are hard on ulcers. I had a mare with ulcers and I had to take her 12% ration that contained grain products away. I fed her hay and beet pulp exclusively, along with the aloe vera and slippery elm. Made a huge difference - my vet was impressed.

It's more difficult when you have many horses, but when you are feeding something other than hay, aren't the horses separate? So you should be able to change her pelleted food without affecting the schedule or diet of the others.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Find a grain free feed like Dynasty Secure or Tributes Kalm Easy to feed in place of the Safe CHoice. I feed everything as if they are IR or Ulcer horses then when something comes up that is one less change I have to make

·
Registered
408 Posts
A Type are like A Type people they spend a lot of energy and have a bold/forward attitude. They usually require more calories and I find beet pulp and hay cubes a great fiber filler that won't get them more hot.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'd just go ahead and give her some compounded omeprazole for a few weeks. Scoping her will be expensive and won't show hindgut ulcers if she happens to have them. You could break the bank and use ulcer or gastro guard, but a tube of generic at eight bucks apiece sure beats a 30 dollar treatment for a days worth of UG

And put her on a gastrointestinal supp to help with her stomach for any future possible upsets.

And I agree with the sweet feed. But alfalfa pellets or beet pulp, something high in calcium to help coat her stomach will be beneficial.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.