The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need somebody to help me please . My horse is 19 years old and it's very ill. It has high fever, a bad general appearance and some skin lesions like ulcers. The vet is treating him with antibiotics but we don't know exactly what type of infection it has. We are very worried. It's very ill.
Skin lesions :They ara like circular ulcers.
Anyone have any idea.
Sorry abou my English is not my language.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
Could it be some kind of insect that has burrowed in, or perhaps laid an egg inside, and the horse's body is reacting to it?

I hope the antibiotics help. Is he drinking ok? Make sure your horse stays hydrated. If he won't drink, the vet may need to give him fluid intravenously. Perhaps add some flavor, like Kool aid to his water to entice him to drink.

Let us know his progress.

·
Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
Pythiosis? Basically a fungal infection in wet humid areas.

Like @tinyliny said, try to keep him hydrated. I don't know if you have anything like Kool aid available. Or adding electrolytes (even the ones made for human babies) to his water.

I hope he's better soon.

Please let us know how he does.

And your English is fine.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Does the horse have ulcer like lesions anywhere else on his body? His mouth? inside his mouth? Near his hooves? What region of the world do you live in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all you.
The skin lesions are getting better. The fever seems to be less. But it has a bad appearance and know it has an important epistaxis (blood from his nouse) unilateral. Yesterday, it bled but then suddenly stopped. But today it was harder and need medicines to stop it. The vet thinks it's all about the same process and because he is very weakly. He says it's a sepsis.
Despite of this he has been eating and drinking every moment he feels a little better. We are from Spain.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I was thinking possibly Vesicular Stomatitis but as far as I know this virus only occurs in the Americas (North, Central, and South) and mainly where it is a warmer climate.

I hope that your horse pulls through and is feeling better soon.

Reactions: knightrider
1 - 8 of 8 Posts