The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding at a walk my gelding does circles and turns perfect but when trotting or at a canter, when I ask him to turn n matter how big a turn I ask for he swings his butt out and just kinda spins around. I've tried adding more pressure to the outside when asking but he still does it. Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well.. i would say to try and change the bridle and or bit.. I would also lunge before you ride

·
Registered
259 Posts
Use Leg Aids

I would do what loveshorsesandrunning said. Also make sure to use leg aids so he understands that you want him to bend. It may also be a bit issue. The bit may be too severe or mild.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lunge him all the time before riding but ill try a different bit. Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Well.. i would say to try and change the bridle and or bit.. I would also lunge before you ride
Why? What does lunging have to do with incorrect turns?

It sounds like the horse is dropping his shoulder into the turn. Needs more support from the legs and seat to keep the bend.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Agreed with mls. Make sure you are supporting him with your inside leg and pushing him AROUND the turn, not trying to pull him into the turn. And if he is just spinning/ducking I would suggest adding a little more outside rein to make him bend instead of duck into the turn. You want your leg to be a post and you want him to turn AROUND IT, not through it, into it, etc. So use that leg to push him off the post you created.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could try setting up something to turn around, make it wide until he understands, but use your inside leg while turning. After he gets good at that then try it without the object.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He moves away from my inside leg fine but he loses forward motion and pivots. Sorry for not explaining better but I was typing in a hurry. To prevent the pivot I've tried holding a stronger outside leg, pushing him forward with my seat/legs to keep motion but although he might move a little forward he still spins. I hope this is a better description
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
When you increase speed you magnify the holes in your training. Pay really close attention to how your horse turns at a walk and you will find that he doesn't turn perfectly at the walk. Get good hindquarter yeilds and forequarter yeilds at a walk and stand still and most of your problem will go away when you add speed.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
A horse that is travelling FORWARD (Please note forward does NOT mean fast) is less likely to duck out on a turn.
Put him on a 20m circle, allow him to make the error and correct him. A good boot with the outside leg, throw your inside rein forward and out towards where you want to go and keep looking at where YOU want to go not where he's taking you. React like that a couple of times and if he's smart he'll figure out pretty **** quick that ducking out is a lot harder than continuing on the circle.

No amount of bridle/bit changes will fix this problem. I don't understand why immediately, at EVERY problem that comes up on this forum people jump in and start yelling 'change your bit, change your saddle...!'. *sigh*

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Basically what everyone else said, but I feel the need to get my opinion in anyway :D

You should be supporting AND pushing with your legs. I had this problem with Jester last spring during Gymkhana season. He wasn't turning and blowing out around barrels and stuff. I supported him with my inside leg around the turn and you'll have to do a repetitive bumping motion with your outside leg to tell him "Okay, its time to turn now."

And be sure you're being clear with your rein signals. Tip his nose into the turn and ask to bend (Assuming you're wanting the bend?) and use your seat to tell him how to position.

As mentioned, the bit could be a problem too. I changed Jester's bit from the curb to the snaffle and all of the sudden he's my perfect little angel. -shrug- Guess he didn't like my reining curb.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Why? What does lunging have to do with incorrect turns?

It sounds like the horse is dropping his shoulder into the turn. Needs more support from the legs and seat to keep the bend.
Well... i just thought i could help.. you know having him get moving.. and turning in trot and canter....

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, I also agree with what everyone else has said. I have to add though, maybe try spurrs too (that is if you know how to use them the correct way).

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I think he needs to relearn some lateral flexion...you can't 'pull' a horse into a turn and expect him to follow with his body correctly; start teaching him how to properly 'give' to the bit and the rest will follow. You can also do alot from the ground; teach him how to yield his shoulders individually, and how to yield his hip...create clear cues, and focus on getting him to respond to your body, not to halter, bit or whip. You could get a book like Clinton Anderson's "DownUnder Horsemanship" or Pat Parelli's "Natural Horsemanship" manual to help you learn how to start teaching your horse to bend, and listen to your body properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.