The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dream of moving to Australia. It's part of a five year plan I'm truly working at! In that spirit I'm very curious about the riding industry there. Having a hard time finding straight answers online. Can anyone tell me how popular riding is in AU? And what forms of riding are most popular? Is there a lot of opportunity? How about trail riding? Is there much available along those lines?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Horse riding isn't AS big here as it is in some countries and you'd definitely have to move to one of the big cities to get a lot of good facilities. I'm stuck in the far north of QLD and we have practically nothing here. If you plan to move here I would suggest the capital cities: Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide specifically.

The main industry (as is most countries) is racing and you'll often find jobs for stable hands going. Other horsey jobs aren't really that big, as far as I can tell it's pretty hard to get into the industry without qualifications. There are plenty of courses you can study that require industry experience and will set you up with a place to do this.

Where I am trail riding area's are non-existent. Down south you would have more luck but still there aren't as many as some countries.

I'd hazard a guess as general English riding being the most popular but you will find a bit of everything! Sydney even has fox hunts! That's just the 'posh' people as my dad calls it, the most general common riding would be the station riding for work. Jackaroo's and Jillaroo's. If you want to work on a station (ranch) than that's the job for you but there are very long days with hard work.

Don't let any of this put you off though because horse riding is an up and coming sport here and every year there are more and more facilities opening and being built. Most towns and cities have their own pony clubs that meet monthly and some have other various riding clubs that meet up. Adult riding clubs, jumpers, trail riders, the lot!

I hope this answers some of your questions!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.