The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video was sent to me via my aunt. She loved it, and I do too!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Nice tricks! I saw a guy at a circus that did almost the same thing but with 5 horses at a time. It may be new to them but it's not new to the world.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I know it's not all that new. It still just gives me chills everytime I see something like that. I don't think I could ever get tired of watching stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
is it just me or is there a couple of horses in there with their ears pinned back??

otherwise pretty fantastic video, its incredible the things a horse can achieve with a trustworthy leader :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howclever: I noticed the same thing, like when that guy was on the ground and cutting with his horse, I think maybe the horse was just getting into it. But yea, it is amazing!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
yeah i noticed the first one running at its owner and i think one about 5 mins in. weird. still love it!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
yeah i noticed the first one running at its owner and i think one about 5 mins in. weird. still love it!
The one in very beginning, right? Yeah, I noticed that too - not a very nice expression. As for pinning ears when working cow I think it's something pretty common. My horse does it too, and cutting horses I've seen (most of them, not all though) do.

I think they did a great job training those horses. While I agree with Kevin it's not something new, still very nice work. And horses seem to be very relaxed and willing to do the tricks. I WISH I'd have an appropriate arena to work liberty with my mares...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kitten val: Yea, I do too! Our arena isn't very appropriate either, I mean, it's a round pen yet not like a neat round pen. Most of the time, the horses run to the gate and you have to chase after them. Usually after that, they're pretty consistant with watching you and not going to the gait. As for the pinning of the ears thing while cutting and working cow, I think your're right because I've noticed that too with every horse who does that. I wonder why? Maybe like I said, they're getting into it? lol I don't know, honestly.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I believe (may be I'm wrong) horses show the cow who's the boss by pinning ears back. I also noticed mares like to do it more comparable to gelding. :)

I used to use round pen for liberty in old barn, but I moved horses from there already 3 years back. My neighbor has an arena she let me use (I think I'm already lucky enough). But she keeps the unhooked trailer and (which is much worse) the big dragging harrow right in middle of arena. So it's just way too dangerous to let them go.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Now if they would loose the sticks and actually work off their seats it would be much better. Several of the horses looked a bit POed at times and at others they looked like they where having some fun.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reiner: Yes! I agree with you 100%. Sometimes I wonder why, when I see videos such as this one, they always have the stick? I understand it's just reinforcement, but don't you think it could, also, be done without those? Now, that, would impress me a million! And yea, I also agree that some of them looked a little irritated and at other times they looked like they enjoyed it.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Nice tricks! I saw a guy at a circus that did almost the same thing but with 5 horses at a time. It may be new to them but it's not new to the world.
I have been there. Do you guys notice the whips?? They are the link as sure has having a halter and lead line on the horse.
They are whip trained. It is not accepted around here.
Loved the music from the movie Spirit.

this is an impressive video about control, the reins are tied around the mans waste and he is controlling the horse with his legs and butt, could be voice too but not the reins

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rio: Exactly!! Thats what I'm saying. Can't this be done without the whips? Whether or not your riding or on the ground, if I seen this done without whips, like I said, only than would I be impressed more than ever!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just watched that video, I dont know why it didn't pop up the first time? I think thats cool, but what's the point of the big stick though? Kinda just seems to me as if thats another form of reinforcement, just not a whip. Still neat though.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Reiner: Yes! I agree with you 100%. Sometimes I wonder why, when I see videos such as this one, they always have the stick? I understand it's just reinforcement, but don't you think it could, also, be done without those? Now, that, would impress me a million! And yea, I also agree that some of them looked a little irritated and at other times they looked like they enjoyed it.
It can be and is done quite a bit. I drop reins quite often when I am working my horses. It helps me to get out of the horses way and use my seat and legs.

Take a look at riders like Stacy Westfall, Rocky Dare and many others who have done bridleless riding.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Wish I could find a video of Rocky Dare showing bridleless. He was probable the first to actually show with out a bridle.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Rio: Exactly!! Thats what I'm saying. Can't this be done without the whips? Whether or not your riding or on the ground, if I seen this done without whips, like I said, only than would I be impressed more than ever!
The whip is the link. It holds the horse to the person. I was taught how to do this by an old horseman and got in some trouble because I carried a whip and it offened some people.. Yes the whip takes away from the picture but it is a link that holds the two together.
there is a step beyond the whip but I will not get into it as it will really offend. Along the line of a shock collar on a working dog.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.